History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sewer Ventilation Pipe Opposite Entrance to Torrington Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Bideford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0149 / 51°0'53"N

Longitude: -4.202 / 4°12'7"W

OS Eastings: 245638

OS Northings: 126252

OS Grid: SS456262

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.JCBS

Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.JSZ

Entry Name: Sewer Ventilation Pipe Opposite Entrance to Torrington Lane

Listing Date: 4 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375955

Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Bideford

Built-Up Area: Bideford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bideford

Listing Text


BIDEFORD

SS4526 TORRINGTON STREET, East-The-Water
842-1/7/268 (West side)
04/02/91 Sewer ventilation pipe opposite
entrance to Torrington Lane

GV II

Sewer ventilation pipe. Probably 1901-2. Engineer was Baldwin
Latham of Parliament Manisons, Victoria Street, Westminster;
contractor E Ellis of Bideford. Tall iron pipe designed to
resemble a Classical column with pedestal, moulded base and
enriched capital; halfway up, a moulded band disguising a
joint. On top of the capital is an ornate arrow pointing south
to indicate the line of the sewer. This in turn is surmounted
by a ball with open lugs facing in all 4 directions. On it
stands a tall finial encircled with a coronet. The shaft is
moulded with the heavily-overpainted name of a Glasgow firm,
which appears to be the same as that on an identical pipe at
the far end of Barnstaple Street (qv). A third pipe of this
type (with no inscription) survives in Ashley Terrace (qv) and
there is a fourth (without the coronet) at the top of High
Street, this being inscribed W. MACFARLANE & CO. GLASGOW. This
pipe and the one at the end of Barnstaple Street probably date
from the re-laying of the East-the-Water sewers in 1901-2.


Listing NGR: SS4563826252

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.