History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halshanger Farmhouse and Attached Courtyard of Buildings with Central Dung Pit

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashburton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5469 / 50°32'48"N

Longitude: -3.7553 / 3°45'18"W

OS Eastings: 275734

OS Northings: 73374

OS Grid: SX757733

Mapcode National: GBR QH.ZT66

Mapcode Global: FRA 370M.BTL

Entry Name: Halshanger Farmhouse and Attached Courtyard of Buildings with Central Dung Pit

Listing Date: 1 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282908

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375985

Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Ashburton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ilsington

Listing Text


ASHBURTON

SX77SE HALSHANGER
849-1/2/238 Halshanger Farmhouse and attached
courtyard of buildings with central
dung pit

II

Farmhouse and attached buildings, formerly the home farmstead
of Halshanger Manor (not listed), which lies 50m to east.
Built between 1840 and 1887. Stone rubble with detail in
dressed granite. Slated roofs. Red-brick chimneys. House and
buildings enclose a square cobbled courtyard with access
through a covered gateway on N side. House, architecturally
almost indistinguishable from the rest, in SE corner.
Buildings have shippons and stable in ground storey; cartshed
in NE corner, entered from outside. Lofts above; bank barn
with 2 threshing-floors on W side. In centre a very large
round dungpit. 2 storeys. Openings mostly have segmental
arches with raised keystones. Some rusticated detail,
including surrounds of archways to covered gateway and
cartshed entrance. Dungpit enclosed by low stone-rubble wall
with coping of roughly-squared granite blocks. Iron
water-wheel at south end of barn. Adjoining the buildings on
west is the former mowhay or rickyard complete with granite
staddle-stones (now minus their mushroom tops). Interior:
house not inspected. Some of shippons have cobbled floors and
red-brick feeding troughs. Some machinery associated with
water-wheel.
(Ashburton Tithe Map 1840: 1887-: OS 25 INCH).


Listing NGR: SX7573473374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.