This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0176 / 51°1'3"N
Longitude: -4.2049 / 4°12'17"W
OS Eastings: 245439
OS Northings: 126565
OS Grid: SS454265
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4LK
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.9NG
Plus Code: 9C3Q2Q9W+32
Entry Name: 8, the Quay
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375926
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 THE QUAY
842-1/5/224 (West side)
Public House, now shop and offices. Late C19, refronted
probably in 1930s; incorporates important C17 detail from
house formerly on the site. Solid rendered front.
Steeply-pitched hipped slate roof. Rendered chimney on each
side-wall. 3 storeys; 3-window range. Ground storey altered,
but upper storeys retain simple Art Deco design with metal
windows and large stepped projection to centre of upper floor.
INTERIOR: first-floor front room contains an early/mid C17
plaster overmantel with the Grenville arms and a high-relief
figure, popularly believed to be Sir Bevil Grenville (d 1643),
whose town house is said to have occupied this site. The 1973
list description refers to a date of 1643 on the overmantel,
but this does not seem to have been noticed by local
historians commenting on the house. For part of C19 this was
the Three Tuns Inn.
(Goaman M: Old Bideford and District: Bristol: 1968-: P.55-57;
Transactions of the Devonshire Association: French K:
Devonshire Plasterwork (article): Torquay: 1957-: 132, PLATE
18C; Rogers WH: Notes on Bideford (typescript): P.77).
Listing NGR: SS4543926565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings