History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

37 Cast Iron Fence Posts Between Bridgeland Street and Bideford Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bideford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0185 / 51°1'6"N

Longitude: -4.2042 / 4°12'15"W

OS Eastings: 245491

OS Northings: 126661

OS Grid: SS454266

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4RR

Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.9WR

Entry Name: 37 Cast Iron Fence Posts Between Bridgeland Street and Bideford Bridge

Listing Date: 19 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375933

Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Bideford

Built-Up Area: Bideford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bideford

Listing Text


BIDEFORD

SS4526 THE QUAY
842-1/5/232 (East side)
37 cast-iron fence posts between
Bridgeland St and Bideford Bridge

GV II

37 cast-iron fence-posts. Most dated 1847, one 1892. the
remainder undated. Identical in design with tapered octagonal
shafts and moulded caps, the sides panelled; at the top, holes
to carry tubular iron bars (now removed), at the bottom, in
most cases, mountings for rings (nearly all broken off),
presumably intended to carry chains. The 3 posts adjoining the
bridge have holes top and bottom, the section immediately next
to the bridge now having C20 replacement-bars. Most carry an
inscription moulded on one, or occasionally two panels: IRON
FOUNDERS BIDEFORD 1847. Some lack the date or any inscription
at all; the ninth post from the north has the date 1892. The
surface-level of the quay has clearly risen considerably;
probably the founder's name is on the buried sections of the
posts. There is a gap in the centre of the series,
corresponding roughly to the present working quay. The tubular
bars seem to have been added after the widening of the quay in
1899; they were in position by 1905. Photographs of the early
1880s show chains hanging from the tops of the posts.


Listing NGR: SS4549126661

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.