History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17, Buttgarden Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bideford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0162 / 51°0'58"N

Longitude: -4.2068 / 4°12'24"W

OS Eastings: 245301

OS Northings: 126407

OS Grid: SS453264

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.JB3R

Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.GWP

Entry Name: 17, Buttgarden Street

Listing Date: 19 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375778

Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Bideford

Built-Up Area: Bideford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bideford

Listing Text


BIDEFORD

SS4526 BUTTGARDEN STREET
842-1/6/65 (West side)
No.17

GV II

House and saddler's shop. Probably mid C19 with early C20 shop
front. Solid rendered front. Roof not visible from street;
probably slate. Red-brick chimney on left side-wall.
Single-fronted, double-depth, with rear wing containing
harness-maker's workshop.
3 storeys; 2-window range. Shop front to left, house-door to
right, these being flanked and separated by pilasters with
raised panels on the shafts; entablature incorporating
blindcase with bracketed block at either end, the cornice
surmounted by a lily-patterned iron cresting. Shop front has 2
display windows, canted towards a central glazed shop door
with solid moulded panel at the bottom; coloured tiles in
front of door with panelled wooden ceiling above. House-door
6-panelled with shaped raised centres to the panels. Upper
storeys have raised plaster quoins. Windows with similar
quoins and shaped heads; 6-paned sashes. Deeply projecting
eaves-cornice. 6-paned sashes in rear wall.
INTERIOR: shop has display cases, counter and cash desk,
probably of early C20 date. Old benches in workshop.
House-part not inspected, except for wooden staircase with
thin square-section balusters; compartment has coloured
floor-tiles, apparently extending into entrance-passage.
The house has a long association with harness-making. Walter
Chope, saddler and harness-maker, was here in 1883; by 1901 he
had been succeeded by Sidney R Chope. The owner of the present
firm of saddlers, WT Johns, says that shop front was installed
in 1907.
(Kelly's Directory of Devonshire: 1883-: 52; Kelly's Directory
of Devonshire: 1901-: 9).


Listing NGR: SS4530126407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.