This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7435 / 53°44'36"N
Longitude: -0.331 / 0°19'51"W
OS Eastings: 510172
OS Northings: 428750
OS Grid: TA101287
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.QG
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.W5LH
Entry Name: Maisters House
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387608
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA1028NW HIGH STREET
680-1/23/190 (West side)
House, now architects' offices. 1743-44, with late C19 rear
additions. Reroofed c1950 following war damage, and restored
1968. By Joseph Page, in consultation with Lord Burlington,
for Henry Maister. Important plasterwork by Page, and
staircase balustrade by Robert Bakewell.
Red brick with ashlar dressings and parapet, and 2 renewed
brick side wall stacks. Asphalt roof to main block. Plinth,
first floor and eaves bands. 3 storeys; 5-window range of
12-pane sashes, and above, five 6-pane sashes, all with brick
flat arches. Ashlar doorcase with pilasters, entablature and
pediment, with fielded 6-panel door, flanked by 2 renewed
12-pane sashes with brick flat arches. Outside, renewed stone
steps, wrought-iron balustrade and area railing, 1968.
Outstanding interior has central staircase hall with modillion
cornice and coved panelled ceiling with plaster busts and
ornament, lit by an octagonal lantern. Stone dogleg stair with
panelled dado and wrought-iron balustrade with ramped scrolled
handrail. On the ground floor, a round-headed double door with
fielded panels. In the stairwell, a round-headed niche with a
figure of Ceres by Cheere, flanked by tall brackets with
busts, with drapery above. On the first landing, 5 moulded
6-panel doors, 2 of them false, with moulded architraves and
entablatures. Between 2 of the doors, a portrait medallion of
Joseph Locke. Plasterwork ceiling has span beam with Greek Key
and shaped and enriched brackets to the second floor gallery,
with leaf panels between them. Gallery has a simpler
balustrade and 4 fielded 6-panel doors with oakleaf friezes
Ground-floor front rooms, formerly the counting house, have
wooden panelling with dentillated cornice, fireplaces with
cornices, and fielded 6-panel doors. Left rear room has
panelled walls and modillion cornice and painted stone
fireplace with pulvinated frieze and central block. Overmantel
with eared surround and scrolls.
Former first-floor drawing room has plasterwork ceiling and
marble and pine fireplace with overmantel, c1760. Second floor
left front room has modillion cornice, plaster ceiling and
marble fireplace with broken scroll pediment to overmantel.
Right front room has simpler cornice and corniced fireplace
with eared and shouldered overmantel. Left rear room has
similar decoration. Right rear room has fielded wooden
panelling, probably late C17, moulded cornice, and ashlar
fireplace with eared and shouldered overmantel. Stone
cantilevered dogleg rear stair has iron stick balusters.
The interior is of importance both locally and nationally.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 276-277; Hall I & E: Georgian
Hull: York: 1978-1979: 14,16,18,52,53,58; Maister House
(National Trust handbook): Alec-Smith, R A: Hull: 1970-).
Listing NGR: TA1017228750
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings