This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2477 / 52°14'51"N
Longitude: 1.2088 / 1°12'31"E
OS Eastings: 619139
OS Northings: 265913
OS Grid: TM191659
Mapcode National: GBR VLZ.0FG
Mapcode Global: VHL9V.WRWR
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281557
Location: Kenton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Kenton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
KENTON CHURCH LANE
TM 16 NE
1/133 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval. South aisle added in early C16 as private chapel
for Garneys family. Restored 1871-2 by E. Hakewill. Nave, south nave aisle,
chancel, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone
dressings. Aisle is of red brick with diaperwork in dark headers. Nave and
chancel have plaintiled roofs, the aisle roof leaded. Late C14/early C15
square 2-stage tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west; rebuilt
crenellated parapet decorated with stone circles linked by a horizontal band.
Unmoulded west doorway; above is a 2-light window and at ringing chamber level
a trefoil-headed lancet window. 2-light belfry openings. Nave has a late
C12 core with original north and south doorways. The south doorway has one
order of colonnettes with crocket capitals (one renewed) and a semi-circular
keel-moulded arch; medieval door (repaired). The north doorway has a plain
semi-circular arch. Nave windows, 2 to north, one to south, all renewed 1871:
the lights have tall trefoil heads with quatrefoils or cinquefoils above;
stilted arches. C15 south porch with knapped flint facade, the entrance arch
enriched with 2 orders of crowns and flower motifs; jambs renewed. 2-bay
aisle with 2-light hoodmoulded brick windows; 3-light east window. West
entrance from inside porch: 4-centre arched brick doorway with original door.
North porch of 1871. Chancel has 3 broad lancet windows (2 to north, one to
south) and a square-headed C15 window partly blocked by the aisle. Altered
Priest's doorway. East window of 1871 in Early English style: a group of 3
lancets with a circular window above but no containing arch. Interior. Nave
has a scissor-braced coupled-rafter roof of 1871, with re-used moulded tie
beam carrying a C19 crown-post. C15 cornice. Chancel roof also renewed 1871;
boarded ceiling. 2-bay aisle arcade; original aisle roof. Elaborate chancel
arch of 1871, in C13 style: the arch is carried on a large marble shaft
surrounded by 3 smaller ones, with foliage capitals and spreading leaves at
the base. East window has cusped surround supported on colonnettes, all of
1871. Rood loft stair rises from sill of north east nave window. Against the
stair is a C15 statue niche with cusped ogee arch and carved shields in the
spandrels. Font has C13 octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble with 2 shallow-arched
panels on each face; shaft and base of 1871, replacing a C15 shaft now in the
aisle. At west end of nave is a C16 bench withbalustraded bookrest dated
1595. Nave poppyhead benches are of 1871. South wall of aisle has niche with
remains of original colouring. For further notes see Church Guide, 1986.
Listing NGR: TM1913965913
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings