This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4569 / 51°27'24"N
Longitude: -1.9531 / 1°57'11"W
OS Eastings: 403353
OS Northings: 173103
OS Grid: SU033731
Mapcode National: GBR 3V1.R03
Mapcode Global: VHB3X.3NB0
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316295
Location: Compton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Compton Bassett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Compton Bassett St Swithin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
COMPTON BASSETT COMPTON BASSETT VILLAGE
SU 07 SW
9/171 The Manor House
House, late C17 extended 1935 and 1973, chalk rubble with ashlar
dressings to original work, extensions in rubble stone and ashlar,
plain tiled hipped roofs. Two storeys and attic. East front has
central ridge stack, and 5-window range of 2-light ovolo-moulded
mullion-and-transom windows with leaded lights. In centre, 1935
projecting 2-storey porch bay in rubble stone with re-used upper
window and ashlar-fronted ground floor with Tudor-arched doorway.
Plastered coved cornice, dripcourse and raised angle quoins, on
original range and repeated on all new work. North end wall has
two similar 2-lights above, one below to right, renewed stonework
South end has similar 2-window range. Rear has one gabled dormer
and one first floor 2-light. Original north-west rear wing has
similar 4-window south front with door in third bay in flush
moulded surround. Raised plinth to left of door only. Over one
ground floor left window date plaque ' RMH 1699'. East end stack.
Rear wall has casements above and ground floor built out in 1973
with pedimented centre door. Across east end of rear wing a 1935
crosswing with matching 2-window range to east and 2-window range
to hipped south end. West stack. Attached to west is 1973
addition by O. Brakspear with formal 4 window south front in
matching style. Two hipped dormers. Centre door with segmental
hood closely flanked by window each side. Two-window west end has
1973 plaque and centre arched door.
1699 initials are said to be of R. and H. Maundrell. House also
has datestone on rear wall, now internal, "Francis KEMBLE 1691" and
original stair with twisted balusters.
(Wiltshire Buildings Record)
Listing NGR: SU0335373103
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings