This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7521 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -1.2461 / 1°14'45"W
OS Eastings: 452138
OS Northings: 206200
OS Grid: SP521062
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.3RN
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.C736
Entry Name: Magdalen College, Cloister, Great Quadrangle
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244980
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5206 SW 10/419J 12.1.54.
Was built 1475, the South side being finished 1490; the West range includes
the old library which has a partly renewed timber roof of probably early
C17. The exterior North front was rebuilt 1823-4 in Bath stone and the
exterior of East and South sides in 1825-27, the architect being James Parkinson.
Parts were refaced in concrete or synthetic stone, in 1946. The South Alley
was re-roofed 1921-2.
Listing NGR: SP5213506190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings