This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.481 / 51°28'51"N
Longitude: -2.1057 / 2°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 392756
OS Northings: 175787
OS Grid: ST927757
Mapcode National: GBR 2SB.2FP
Mapcode Global: VH96C.G15H
Entry Name: Group of Five Monuments West and South West of Porch of Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315997
Location: Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Langley Burrell Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
LANGLEY BURRELL SWINDON ROAD
ST 97 NW WITHOUT (east side)
8/184 Group of five monuments west and
south west of porch of Church of
Five chest tombs, C18, ashlar: From north east:
a) Wastfield monument, mid C18, finely detailed, with large
scroll-bordered north plaques, rectangular south plaque with
scrolls each side, fielded panelled angle piers with centre
rosettes, west end cartouche and east end shield plaque. North
inscription to Robert Wastfield of Jacksom's. Earliest
decipherable date 1754.
b) S. Matthews monument, early to mid C18, moulded base and
cornice broken forward over floral-scroll decorated centre and
angle piers. Two raised shield plaques each side, round-headed
end plaques. South side inscriptions to William --- died 1766
and Sophia Matthews died 1852.
c) J. Matthews monument, early C18, with two shield plaques each
side and finely carved scroll-decorated centre and angle piers.
Moulded base and cornice with pulvinated frieze, broken forward
over piers. Inscription to John Matthews of Rawlings Farm died
d) Unidentified early to mid C18 monument with two fielded plaques
each side, fielded end plaques, foliate decorated centre and
end piers and moulded capstone.
e) S. Jefferys monument, mid C1B with two shield plaques each
side, fielded centre and angle piers, shield east plaque and
lozenge to west. Moulded base and cornice with pulvinated
frieze broken forward over piers. Inscription to Samuel
Jefferys died 1762.
Listing NGR: ST9275675787
Other nearby listed buildings