History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black Dyke Mills (The Principal 5 and 4 Storey Blocks to South of Complex)

A Grade II Listed Building in Queensbury, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7674 / 53°46'2"N

Longitude: -1.8435 / 1°50'36"W

OS Eastings: 410411

OS Northings: 430125

OS Grid: SE104301

Mapcode National: GBR HSKW.P7

Mapcode Global: WHC9F.NKBQ

Entry Name: Black Dyke Mills (The Principal 5 and 4 Storey Blocks to South of Complex)

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337402

Location: Bradford, BD13

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Queensbury

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Queensbury Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Thornton

Listing Text

SE13SW QUEENSBURY HIGH STREET
(south side)
Queensbury.

5/28 Black Dyke Mills,
(the principal
5-and 4-storey
blocks to south
of complex).

GV II

Mill buildings. East part built between 1842 and 1848, extension to
west between 1848 and 1851, and the slightly larger block to far west
between 1854 and 1868. For John Foster and Son. Hammer-dressed stone.
Stone slate roofs. East block and extension 5 storeys, west block 4
storeys, both with basement and attic. South side: east block of 15
bays and industrial 6-pane casements, the centre 5 bays breaking forward
slightly. 'The 9-bay extension to left is similar and has a rounded stair
and hoist tower to right which rises above eaves and has pyramidal roof.
The later block to left is slightly taller and wider and has 27 bays of
similar casements and one bay of loading doors surmounted by a small
triangular pediment. To right is a round-arched carriageway with alternate,
rusticated quoins and voussoirs. Also, towards the right end is a square
tower with pyramidal roof and round-arched lights in archivolted groups
of 3 and 2. Dentil eaves cornice and roof lights to both blocks. North
side similar but with some later additions. West gable end of 4 bays with
central square projecting tower with small round-arched lights and
pyramidal roof. Single-storey sheds on north side not included in the
item.
E. M. Sigsworth, Black Dyke Mills, A History, 1958


Listing NGR: SE1041130125

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.