This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7229 / 51°43'22"N
Longitude: -1.4304 / 1°25'49"W
OS Eastings: 439439
OS Northings: 202838
OS Grid: SP394028
Mapcode National: GBR 6WF.Z0X
Mapcode Global: VHC09.5Y4M
Plus Code: 9C3WPHF9+5R
Entry Name: The Black Horse Public House
Listing Date: 27 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252357
Location: Standlake, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
Civil Parish: Standlake
Built-Up Area: Standlake
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Standlake
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANDLAKE HIGH STREET
SP30SE (South side)
10/273 The Black Horse Public House
Public house. Dated 1673/WBM on stack and fireplaces late C18/early C19
extension and rear wing; late C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble;
gabled stone slate roof; brick end stacks. 2-unit plan. One storey and attic:
2-window range. Timber lintel over C20 door flanked by late C19 square bay
windows gabled dormers, with 2-light casements. Early C19 two-storey bay to
right has C20 door and windows. Late C18 two-storey rear wing of similar
materials. Interior: stop-chamfered bressumer over open fireplace with inglenook
seals to left. Stepped-ovolo-moulded beam to left and stop-chamfered beam to
right both supported on central cased post with scrolled decoration to jowl.
First floor not inspected but likely to be of interest. Built as an inn for
William Miles, a retired soldier, and his wife Susanah.
(Brigadier F.R.L. Goadby and Standlake Local History Society, Standlake House
Survey, 1983, No.29).
Listing NGR: SP3943902838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings