This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5692 / 51°34'9"N
Longitude: -1.2349 / 1°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 453127
OS Northings: 185868
OS Grid: SU531858
Mapcode National: GBR 919.DMN
Mapcode Global: VHCYM.KT1F
Entry Name: Malthus Schoolhouse
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249891
Location: Blewbury, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Blewbury
Built-Up Area: Blewbury
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Blewbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2012
(Formerly listed under Church Street)
School house, now house. Dated 1709. Red brick with random flared headers in
Flemish bond; old plain-tile roof; brick end stacks. Double-depth plan.
2-storey, 5-window range, 6-panel door to centre with wood architrave surround,
having overlight and half-dome hood on richly-carved brackets. Wood
cross-windows to all openings with glazing bars to lights. Those windows to
ground floor have segmental brick heads. Blind panel to first floor centre with
inscribed tablet reading "A Charity School built and endowed by the gift of
William Malthus, merchant, Anno Domini 1709". Flat brick band between around and
first floors. Painted wood dentil cornice to eaves. Interior not inspected.
Early C19 addition to left, single-storey, single-window range. Red brick with
flared headers in Flemish bond; old plain-tile roof, half-hipped to left.
6-panel door to left. 3-light wood casement with segmental brick head to centre.
Listing NGR: SU5312785868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings