History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scott's Mill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bremhill, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.461 / 51°27'39"N

Longitude: -2.0726 / 2°4'21"W

OS Eastings: 395054

OS Northings: 173557

OS Grid: ST950735

Mapcode National: GBR 2SK.BV3

Mapcode Global: VHB3V.1J5W

Entry Name: Scott's Mill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283401

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316197

Location: Bremhill, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bremhill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

ST 97 SE
8/73

BREMHILL
TYTHERTON LUCAS
Scott's Mill Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse, C17, altered in C18, timber-frame, rubble stone and red
brick with stone slate roofs. Two storeys, L-plan main range with
end stacks to cross wing. Cross wing refronted in red brick in
late C18 with beaded stone mullion windows, three-light each side
of door in C20 lean-to porch, 2-light each side above and small
centre sash. Brickwork has straight joint to left of first floor
centre and exposed post to right. Left end gable is rubble stone
original chimney gable. Right gable is timber-framed with inserted
stack, framing exposed in gable, wall-posts only below. Gable
loading doors. Rear wall is rendered. Range to right of timber-
framed gable has red brick front but one angle post exposed, ground
floor door in gabled brick porch and window to right. Rear is
rendered. Lower addition to right has end stack, rendered walls,
front C20 brick extension and rear hipped eaves dormer and C20
windows.
Interior: cross wing timber-lintel fireplace with ashlar sides,
chamfered beams and tie-beam and collar roof trusses altered in C18
or early C19 with tie-beams cut and reset lower with queen posts,
and inserted trusses between originals. Scott's Mill was part of
the estates of Stanley Abbey before the C16, let to H. Goldney,
clothier, 1526 and to J. Scott 1554. A house of 3 bays is recorded
in early C17. Held by Scott family to 1744 and by Palmer family to
early C19. The mill building stood on opposite side of the Marden
until demolished in 1987.
(K. Rogers, Wiltshire and Somerset Woollen Mills, 1976; 89-90)

Listing NGR: ST9505473557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.