This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8312 / 53°49'52"N
Longitude: -1.9561 / 1°57'21"W
OS Eastings: 402987
OS Northings: 437215
OS Grid: SE029372
Mapcode National: GBR GSS4.9C
Mapcode Global: WHB7V.XYPT
Plus Code: 9C5WR2JV+FH
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 23 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338120
Location: Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury, Bradford, BD22
Civil Parish: Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury
Built-Up Area: Haworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Haworth St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
KEIGHLEY CHURCH STREET
SE 0237 and SE 0337 (south side)
23.2.55 Church of St Michael and
Church. Base of tower probably C16, upper part C18, rest of church rebuilt 1879
in late C13/early C14 style by T H and F Healey. Coursed, dressed millstone grit.
Graduated Westmorland slate roof. Aisled nave with south-west tower and south
porch, chancel with southern chapel and north organ chamber. Nave: 6 bays.
Embattled Perpendicular tower at west end has stepped diagonal buttresses to base,
2 original blocks decorated with shields in south wall, original hoodmould to west
window, and crocketed finials. Porch has double-chamfered, pointed-arch doorway
with hoodmould; diagonal buttresses. 4- and 3-light flat-arched windows to aisle.
2-light pointed-arch windows to clerestory. Lower 3-bay chancel has 5-light east
window flanked by 2 Saints' figures. Kneelers. Ashlar coping. Gable crosses.
Interior: Pointed-arch arcade on octagonal piers. Marble pulpit. Altar rails in
elaborate late C13/early c14 style. John Wesley preached frequently in the C18
church. Patrick Bronte was the incumbent 1820-61.
Listing NGR: SE0298737215
Other nearby listed buildings