History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wykham Park (Tudor Hall School) C17 Range to North East of C19 House

A Grade II Listed Building in Banbury, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0377 / 52°2'15"N

Longitude: -1.3586 / 1°21'30"W

OS Eastings: 444092

OS Northings: 237893

OS Grid: SP440378

Mapcode National: GBR 7T5.C9Z

Mapcode Global: VHCWF.D1MQ

Entry Name: Wykham Park (Tudor Hall School) C17 Range to North East of C19 House

Listing Date: 9 April 1952

Last Amended: 14 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283504

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244289

Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Banbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Banbury St Hugh

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Banbury

Listing Text

SP43NW BANBURY BLOXHAM ROAD
(East Side)
Wykham
3/1 Wykham Park (Tudor Hall
09/04/52 School) C17 range to NE of C19
house
(Formerly listed as Wykham
Park (Tudor Hall School))

GV II


House now school boarding house and music rooms. C17 and earlier, remodelled
C20. Reset datestone 1619 in left end wall. Finely jointed ashlar ironstone.
Stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses with Welsh slate roof to rear.
Renewed stone ridge and end stacks. Stone copinqs with renewed stone kneelers.
Stone plinth. storeys plus attic. 6-window range altogether. Main range is
flanked by wings of one-window width. Main range: 4-centred doorway to left has
chamfered soffit and jambs. Plank door. Doorway is flanked by 3-light
stone-mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops, To right of door a
small square recess has carved stone floral decoration. Four 3-light
stone-mullioned windows to first floor have hood moulds and label stops. Side
wings have the same window arrangement: 4-light stone mullions to ground flour
and first floor and 3-light stone mullions to attic storey. All windows have
hood moulds and label stops. 4-centred doorways on return sides have plank doors
and hood moulds. Some windows have wrought-iron casement fasteners. Interior:
remodelled. Large C20 additions to rear not of special architectural interest.
(Skelton, J., History of Oxfordshire, 1823, Banbury Hundred, p.6; Beesley, A.:
History of Banbury 1841, p.107 and 349; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire. Vol.X, p.47).


Listing NGR: SP4409237893

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.