This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5868 / 51°35'12"N
Longitude: -2.1764 / 2°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 387874
OS Northings: 187567
OS Grid: ST878875
Mapcode National: GBR 1PK.GKZ
Mapcode Global: VH95R.7C8W
Plus Code: 9C3VHRPF+PC
Entry Name: Easton Grey House
Listing Date: 12 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318012
Location: Easton Grey, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Easton Grey
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Easton Grey
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
EASTON GREY MALMESBURY ROAD
ST 88 NE
3/15 Easton Grey House
Country House. Circa 1792 with c1880 and early C20 additions.
Ashlar with hipped stone slate roofs and tall stone stacks in pairs
with linking arches. Austere classical style. East front reveals
C18 block to left-hand, c1880 block to right-hand and further C20
additions to north courtyard. South front of 2 storeys, 5 bays.
Eighteen-pane sashes to ground floor, 12-pane to upper set in deep
reveals without architraves. Slightly projecting central bay with
shallow pilasters, blind round-headed niches to either side of
first floor window and elongated pediment with Parry-Hodges coat of
arms. End pilasters, first floor platband, coved cornice and
blocking course. East front has semi-circular portico on Roman
Doric columns and Smith coat of arms; sash fenestration. Circa
1880 block of 3 storeys with cambered heads to 12-pane sashes.
West front has central canted bay and at the north-west corner an
attached service range (now restaurant) with Doric colonnade.
Interior. Fine series of reception rooms recently redecorated.
Stone flags to Entrance Hall with late C18 marble chimneypiece with
Ionic columns and carved animal tableau (possibly imported from
Carclew, Cornwall). Elegant cantilever staircase with stone
treads, wreathed mahogany handrail and floral wrought iron
balusters; panelled dado. Central Ante-Room on south front has
C18 Chinese wallpaper. Blue Drawing Room on south front has fine
marble and blue john chimneypiece; panelled Dining Room on south
front with further marble chimneypiece. House originally built by
the Parry-Hodges family but achieved social pre-eminence in the
1880s when it became one of the major country retreats of the
'Souls' during the ownership of Thomas Graham Smith and his wife
(Unpublished History of Easton Grey House by Mrs Didi Saunders; N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Jane Abdy &
Charlotte Gere, The Souls, 1984; Alvide Lees-Milne, The
Englishwoman's House, 1984)
Listing NGR: ST8787487567
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings