History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Patrick

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4332 / 51°25'59"N

Longitude: -2.2032 / 2°12'11"W

OS Eastings: 385970

OS Northings: 170489

OS Grid: ST859704

Mapcode National: GBR 1RG.1SM

Mapcode Global: VH96H.R7MM

Plus Code: 9C3VCQMW+7P

Entry Name: Church of St Patrick

Listing Date: 1 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315345

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Built-Up Area: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in


ST 87 SE
(south side)
1/317 Church of Saint Patrick and No. 54

Schools, now Roman Catholic church and attached house, 1857-8 by
H.E. and A.S. Goodridge of Bath. Rubble stone with ashlar
dressings, Gothic style. School has plain tile roofs, coped gables
and stepped buttresses at all angles. Complex 'Z'-plan with
additional range in rear south-east angle and projecting gabled
porch in angle between north gable and east wing. Principal north-
south range with wings to north-east and south-west, all gables
treated similarly with stepped sill course under plate traceried
windows with stepped cusped heads to lights, 4-light to main north
and east gables, 3-light to south and west, and cusped trefoil in
apex. North and south gables have corner stacks, north gable has
steep ashlar bellcote. Porch has segmental-pointed doorway, ribbon
scroll over and statue niche in apex. North front of east wing has
3-light window reaching into dormer gable and small 2-light to
left, both with cusped heads. West side has similar 3-light and
dormer gable with 2-light to left, 3-light to right. South side
has 2-light to left of main gable. To rear south-east is range
with east end stack, 2 dormer gables with 2-light pointed windows
breaking eaves, and door each side with ribbon scroll reading
'Girls School' to left, 'Boys School' to right. A projection
between the doors with stepped gable has been extended (1985) to
mask right-side door. Complex triple-purlin roofs within, inserted
floor to main north-south range. House, to east, has stone tiled
roof, 2-storey with cross-wing adjoining school and coped east
gable. North front has ashlar canted porch in angle to school,
gable with 2-light window to each floor, pointed heads above,
shouldered below and part infilled in ashlar to line of stair.
Large outside stack to left, dated 1858 with 3-light shouldered-
head window in base. South side cross-wing has half-hipped gable,
cusped 3-light upper window over off-centre triangular ashlar bay
with 2-light mullion-and-transom window on each face. Wing to right
has upper single-light breaking eaves. Lean-to on east end wall
with 2-light window over. Originally Pickwick District Schools,
built for Sir G. Goldney M.P. Design exhibited Royal Academy 1857.

Listing NGR: ST8597070489

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.