This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8457 / 51°50'44"N
Longitude: -1.4808 / 1°28'50"W
OS Eastings: 435865
OS Northings: 216471
OS Grid: SP358164
Mapcode National: GBR 6V0.BFF
Mapcode Global: VHBZP.9V1Z
Plus Code: 9C3WRGW9+7M
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252490
Location: Finstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
Civil Parish: Finstock
Built-Up Area: Finstock
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Finstock with Fawler
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FINSTOCK WITNEY ROAD
SP3516 (South-east side)
16/49 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage, now house. Dated 1864 (foundation stone), by William White. Snecked
squared and coursed limestone with ashlar dressings, with some tile hanging.
Plain tile roofs. Irregular plan. In a Domestic Gothic Revival style. Two
storeys and 2 storeys and attic. Integral brick end stack to right, brick ridge
stack to left-hand wing and integral lateral stack to left of right-hand wing,
each with double toothed-brick cornice. Mainly 2- and 3-light
chamfered-mullioned stone windows with bar stops and wooden casements. Two
gabled wings, that to left with first-floor 3-light mullioned windows and that
to right with 2-light mukllioned windows. Tile-hung gabled dormer set back
between with 3-light wooden casement. Half-glazed door beneath 4-part overlight
with stained glass. Timber-framed glazed porch with high chamfered stone plinth
and lean-to roof, hipped to left. Asymmetrical entrance with curved braces,
leaded lights to right and to left-hand side, and encaustic tiled floor within.
Main range set back to right has large tile-hung gabled dormer with 3-light
wooden casements and 2-storey lean-to with catslide roof with 2-light mullioned
window to right and boarded door to left with decorative strap hinges and eaves
above extended to form bracketed porch. Left-hand gable end: 3-light wooden
attic casement, 3-light mullioned first-floor casement oriel tall ground-floor
canted bay with 3-light wooden casement, chamfered plinth and hipped roof. Rear:
central tile-hung gabled roof dormer with 3-light wooden casement. Gabled full
dormer to left with 3-light aullioned window. Three-window front; 2 first-floor
3-light mullioned windows to left and one-light casement to right. Two
ground-floor canted bays to right of 1:3:1 lights, each with chamfered plinth
and hipped roof. Half-glazed boarded door to left with chamfered reveals and
side lights. Foundation stone as quoin in south-east corner of main range with
cross and inscription: "ANo Dm 1864". Interior: partly inspected top-lit
entrance/staircase hall with chamfered beams and joists, L-plan staircase with
winders, open balustrade, chamfered square newel posts with shaped finials and
handrail to lower flight with scrolled end and supported on angled bracket;
landing balustrade. Rear of front door with angled brace and wrought-iron door
furniture of c.1864. Back staircase in a similar style to the main staircase.
Left-hand ground-floor rear room: stone fireplace of c.1864 has chamfered top
with slight ogee and chamfered lower jambs. Four-panelled doors throughout.
Boarded shutters in principal rooms with decorative wrought-iron strap hinges.
(Christopher Dalton: Parsons' Pleasures. The Victorian Parsonages of William
White, Country Life, Vol CLXXXI, No,16, pp150-2)
Listing NGR: SP3586516471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings