This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4118 / 51°24'42"N
Longitude: -2.1761 / 2°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 387846
OS Northings: 168097
OS Grid: ST878680
Mapcode National: GBR 1RP.GMZ
Mapcode Global: VH96J.7SF3
Plus Code: 9C3VCR6F+PG
Entry Name: Monks House
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283926
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315302
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Gastard
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CORSHAM MONKS PARK
ST 86 NE
House, late C18 and C19, ashlar fronted with hipped slate low-
pitched roof, ridge and west end stacks. Two storeys and attic.
Formal ashlar north front, 4-window, 2-storey with giant order of
Ionic pilasters, entablature, with paterae in frieze on forward
breaks over pilasters, dentil cornice and blind balustrade.
Moulded sill course over plinth below 12-pane ground floor windows
in architraves with cornices, fluted friezes and corner paterae.
Guilloche first floor band. Six-pane upper windows in architraves.
East front is rendered, lined as ashlar, with ashlar pier at north-
east angle continuing mouldings from north front and plainer south-
east ashlar pier. Off-centre 3-window, 2-storey and attic
elevation with flush stone surrounds to windows and plain coved
cornices. Moulded course over first floor and plain stone course
over attic. Six-pane attic and first floor windows, 12-pane to
ground floor right. Blank centre windows to ground and first
floors. Ground floor left has arched doorway with traceried fan
set in large mid C19 ashlar porte-cochere. Paired columns to
front, single columns to rear, moulded cornice, damaged moulding,
balustrade removed. South side has projection to right with 12-
pane sash to each floor, plain cornice and parapet. To left, first
floor 4-12-4 pane stair light with segmental head to centre, sill
course and slate-roofed verandah to ground floor. C19 two-storey
addition to west. West side is coursed rubble stone with ridge
stack, random spaced sashes and single storey outbuilding
projecting with 2 columns on south side. A south-west rear wing
has been demolished. Monks estate is recorded from C14, held by
Tropenell and Eyre families in C15 and C16, Danvers family from
1616 to 1711 and by the Dickinson family from 1711 to 1865. House
was probably built 1780 for B. Dickinson. Later C19 alterations
for Hon. J.T. Goldney.
Listing NGR: ST8784668097
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings