This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8694 / 51°52'9"N
Longitude: -1.4811 / 1°28'51"W
OS Eastings: 435824
OS Northings: 219104
OS Grid: SP358191
Mapcode National: GBR 6TM.QCZ
Mapcode Global: VHBZP.88WS
Entry Name: Lee Place
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254142
Location: Charlbury, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Charlbury
Built-Up Area: Charlbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Charlbury with Shorthampton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Small country house. Probably c.1640 extensively remodelled 1720s
possibly by James Gibbs and with minor later additions and
alterations. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings and chimneys; stone slate roof. Irregular L-plan with
C17 house in centre of main (south-west) front and contemporary
range extending to rear; pavilions added to north-west and south-
east in early C18. Maint front: Symmetrical composition
comprising C17 block of 2 storeys and attic and 5-window range,
the 3 central bays defined by C18 pilasters under pediment; the
whole flanked by single storey pavilions each with a hipped roof.
Central part-glazed door has triangular pediment on Ionic half-
columns. Glazing bar sashes in moulded stone architraves on
ground and first floor. Pediment over three central bays has
Diocletian window with glazing bars. Hipped dormers to right and
left have casements with glazing bars. Gable end stacks, triple-
shafted to right; twin-shafted to left. Flanking pavilions each
have a Venetian window with glazing bar sashes and one glazing bar
sash window in moulded architrave in the canted end bays set back
to right and left. Sill band defines plinth; simple moulded
cornice under parapet with 5 ball finials on each pavilion. Lead
rainwater goods. Tall rear C17 range to left has single, double
and triple-shafted ashlar stacks; scattered fenestration includes
2 cross casements with leaded lights and 2 sashes with thick
glazing bars on ground and first floors. Irregular rear elevation
has large and small pane sashes. Projecting service wing dated
1848 has irregular fenestartion including dormers and half-dormers.
C20 range of three windows extends from left. Interior: now
entered through C20 porch to rear leading via entrance hall to the
suite of principal rooms along the main (garden) front. Entrance
Hall: Full-height raised and fielded panelling; 6-panelled doors
with moulded architraves; fireplace with lugged architrave under a
painting of a Dutch river-scene fitted to the chimney-piece.
Garden Room: formed early C18 within C17 house probably
functioning originally as an entrance hall. Marble floor; richly
moulded plasterwork over cross-beamed ceiling. Doors and window
shutters have raised and fielded panels; dado panelling a later
addition. Fine early C18 fireplace with hunting scenes. Dining
Room: fine Rococo plaster ceiling c.1740-50; simulated double-
leaf doors in moulded architraves; window shutters have egg and
dart decoration. Adam-style fireplace with relief of 9 muses
introduced C20. Sitting Room: moulded plaster over cross-beamed
ceiling. 6-panelled door with deep panelled reveals, panelled
window shutters; marble fireplace with luggled architrave.
Drawing Room: now entered from Sitting Room, has elaborate chimney
piece framing a landscape painting with scrolled pediment and
doorcases with moulded architraves and pediments on consoles;
plain ceiling with modillioned cornice. Early C18 doorleg staircase
with bulbous turned balusters and pulvinated string leads from
rear stair hall to first floor. Bedrooms hav C18 fireplaces, some
with C19 grates,and retain original fittings including doors and
some panelling. Ground floor of C17 rear wing has Tudor arched
fireplace with plain spandrels.
Buildings of England (Oxfordshire), p. 528. The Antique Collector
(June 1963), 93-101.
Listing NGR: SP3582419108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings