History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stowmarket, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1898 / 52°11'23"N

Longitude: 1.1332 / 1°7'59"E

OS Eastings: 614258

OS Northings: 259246

OS Grid: TM142592

Mapcode National: GBR TL3.R9B

Mapcode Global: VHLB6.L7F4

Plus Code: 9F4354QM+W7

Entry Name: Old School House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279433

Location: Stonham Aspal, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Aspal

Built-Up Area: Stonham Aspal

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stonham Aspal St Mary and St Lambert

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

TM 15 NW
5/182 Old School House
- II

House, late C16 with alterations of early C17 and later. Originally of 2-cell
end-chimney plan; the plan was "reversed" to 3-cell lobby-entrance form in
C17. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered with cable-pattern pargetting
restored in C20. Thatched roof, hipped at left hand end, with axial chimney
of red brick. Mainly C20 casements. C20 boarded and battened entrance door
with open lean-to pantiled porch on posts. The original C16 work has studwork
with both arch and tension-bracing and a coupled-rafter roof. A chimney was
placed in the cross-entry in C17; the service cell to left was given a new
upper floor with an ovolo-moulded binding joist, to become the new parlour.
Above the parlour fireplace is a mid or late C18 painting of a hunting scene
painted directly onto the plaster, but covering a deep C17 painted frieze of
chevrons. There are believed to be other sections of painted decoration now
concealed. The service cell to right is higher and of C18 workmanship, but
with possible earlier core. The single-storey brick and glazed pantiled
roofed service wing to front right is mainly of early C19, but with an earlier
timber-framed core. In 1612, the Revd. John Metcalf, (rector of this parish)
bequeathed this house, then called Smiths "for a schoolmaster, to teach freely
the youth of Stonham and Pettaugh".

Listing NGR: TM1425859246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.