This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3209 / 51°19'15"N
Longitude: -2.2073 / 2°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 385649
OS Northings: 158001
OS Grid: ST856580
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.0RQ
Mapcode Global: VH972.P2F6
Plus Code: 9C3V8QCV+93
Entry Name: Midland Bank
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 26 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313998
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(North East Side)
No 46, Midland Bank
(Formerly listed as
premises occupied by
Midland Bank and
ST 8558 5/26
ST 8557 7/26 29,12.50.
Built between 1727 and 1741, an extremely imposing palazzo fronting to south west.
3 storeys and basement. A tall square block of ashlar stone on moulded plinth,
with angle rusticated piers full height, moulded cornice strings over ground and
1st floor windows. Bold moulded cornice and square section balustrade with panelled
dies, moulded base and moulded coping. 7 windows to upper floors in stone architrave
surrounds with moulded cillsand projecting aprons on moulded bases. 6 windows
on ground floor of similar type, except for the 4th and 6th to right hand, now
2 doorways. The 5th window has been slightly widened and now restored. 8-panel
central door with rectangular fanlight diagonal pattern in stone recess with stone
doorcase of Doric engaged columns and entablature with triglyph frieze and modillioned
cornice. The central let floor window has surround of engaged Corinthian columns
and entablature with curved frieze and segmental pediment. The right hand return
front has 5 similar windows to upper moors and 4 on ground floor. Central 6-panel
door with 3 lane rectangular fanlight in rusticated surround with Doric doorcase
of stone pilasters and entablature now blocked. The central 1st floor window has
surround of fluted Corinthian pilasters and entablature with pediment. Interesting
rear part with a flight of 3 narrow round-headed stair windows in centre (outer
ones now blocked). All windows have raised flat surrounds with beaded inner edges.
1 blocked doorcase with bolection surround. Lead rainwater pipe with conical hopper
to right. Interior retains fine oak ramped staircase and magnificent hallway arch.
Panelled doors on 1st floor; fine shell niche cupboard with shaped shelves also
on 1st floor landing.. Fine carved bank counter inserted on ground floor.
Nos 37 to 44 (consec), No 38A and Nos 46 to 48 (consec) form a group with No 13
Church Walk. No 43 is of local interest.
Listing NGR: ST8564857997
Other nearby listed buildings