This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.154 / 52°9'14"N
Longitude: 0.9524 / 0°57'8"E
OS Eastings: 602070
OS Northings: 254744
OS Grid: TM020547
Mapcode National: GBR SJY.TWY
Mapcode Global: VHKDV.G4C2
Plus Code: 9F425X32+HX
Entry Name: Moat Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 22 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279838
Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Combs
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Little Finborough St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
COMBS BILDESTON ROAD
TM 05 SW
5/63 Moat Hall (formerly
listed as Moat Farmhouse)
Former farmhouse. Circa 1400, with alterations of c,1500, c.1600 and c.1970.
An open-hall house with a partly later-medieval cross-wing at the left hand
end. 2 storeys, and one storey with attics. Timber-framed and plastered,
with C20 herringbone pargetting in panels. Thatched roofs, with C20 casement
dormers. The cross-wing has a pair of cusped late C15 oak bargeboards on the
west gable, removed c.1970 from the east gable (the house originally faced
east). Axial chimneys: in the hall range is a mid C19 chimney of gault brick
with 4 diagonally-set square flues on a sawtooth-banded base; a C19 axial
chimney of red brick in the wing. Plastic casements of late C20, with leaded
lights. A thatched gabled C20 entrance porch with boarded door. High quality
C15 carpentry: the 2-bay open hall has a central truss, without its tie-beam,
but retaining the octagonal c.1400 type crownpost with moulded capital and
thick 4-way braces. Close-studding without visible windbracing. The roof is
heavily smoke-encrusted. The parlour cell to right is original but altered,
once having had a hipped roof. The hall has evidence for a rear cross-passage
doorway with a 2-centred arched head. The cross-wing is of two 2-bays
sections: the projecting part is apparently of c.1400 and contemporary with
the hall, it was open and heavily smoke-encrusted, with a central crownpost
truss, the crownpost being octagonal and with 2-way braces. The rebuilt
section has a 2-bay solar with an open truss, the octagonal crownpost being
well moulded in the late C15 manner (English Vernacular Houses: Mercer:
HOM.S.O., Plate 56). An upper floor was inserted in the hall in late C16,
with plain framing, and a chimney with back-to-back open fireplaces to hall
and parlour. Major refurbishing of c.1970 following a period of dereliction;
at this time a dogleg staircase taken from a demolished inn at Stowmarket was
inserted into the hall; it has turned balusters and moulded newel finials of
c.1600. A large wing of c.1980 on the east side is not of special interest.
The house stands within a medieval moat. N.M.R photographs.
Listing NGR: TM0207054744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings