History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bishopstone House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishopstone, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0384 / 51°2'18"N

Longitude: -1.8801 / 1°52'48"W

OS Eastings: 408501

OS Northings: 126562

OS Grid: SU085265

Mapcode National: GBR 405.ZCX

Mapcode Global: FRA 66YC.PCM

Plus Code: 9C3W24Q9+8X

Entry Name: Bishopstone House

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284290

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320623

Location: Bishopstone, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bishopstone

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bishopstone and Stratford Tony St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Broad Chalke


(east side)

5/37 Bishopstone House

Rectory, now detached house. Circa 1820 by John Lowder of Bath for
Rev. T. Bromley. Yellow Flemish bond brick, Welsh slate hipped
roof, brick stacks. Rectangular house with rear service wing.
Two-storey, 5-window west front. Central 6-panelled door in
slightly projecting ashlar porch with moulded cornice, two 6-pane
sashes with wedge lintels either side. First floor has stone plat
band, five 9-pane sashes. Boxed eaves to roof. Right return,
garden front has three 12-pane sashes to ground floor, plat band
and three 9-pane sashes to first floor, lead rainwater goods. Rear
has attached half-octagonal conservatory of 1828 by R. Read of
Salisbury; Flemish bond brick with diagonal buttresses and small-
paned fixed windows, hipped glazed roof, gothic-style glazing bars
are C20 insertions, to right are three 12-pane sashes, plat band to
first floor with five 9-pane sashes. Rear 2-storey service wing
with glazed door and 12-pane sashes, single-storey outhouse and
flat-roofed C20 garage to rear.
Interior has open-well stairs with stick balusters and wreathed
handrail, top-lit by circular dome, 6-panelled doors in moulded
architraves, window shutters and plaster ceiling cornices retained.
Conservatory built for Rev. George Augustus Montgomery, who moved
here 1824 and died 1842 (see his monument in Church of St John the
Baptist (q.v.)). Cecilia, his wife, painted several watercolours
depicting the house and church during 1820s. Ceased to be the
rectory c1950.
(Country Life, November 12th, 1959)

Listing NGR: SU0850126562

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.