This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1456 / 51°8'44"N
Longitude: -1.8043 / 1°48'15"W
OS Eastings: 413786
OS Northings: 138495
OS Grid: SU137384
Mapcode National: GBR 50G.0NC
Mapcode Global: VHB5J.PG0N
Plus Code: 9C3W45WW+67
Entry Name: Manor School, with Forecourt Walls
Listing Date: 10 January 1958
Last Amended: 10 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321422
Location: Durnford, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Durnford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Valley with Archers Gate
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DURNFORD GREAT DURNFORD
SU 13 NW
8/112 Manor School, with
10.1.58 forecourt walls (formerly
listed as "Manor House")
Manor house, now girls' school. c1710-30 early-mid C19 and 1912-13
by George Silley of Craven Street, London, for Capt. Tryon. Header
bond brickwork with stone dressings on a stone plinth. Tiled
roofs. Three storeys, attic and cellars. Main east front is of 5
bays, with raised first floor over rusticated plinth. Wide central
6-panelled door with sashed sidelights, enclosed within stone
pilastered frame with elongated acanthus consoles to a fluted
architrave and triangular pediment. Five steps. Moulded string to
first floor with end Ionic pilasters rising to eaves cornice.
Ground and first floors have 12-paned sashes, the central window to
the first floor having similar tripartite stone frame, but with
horizontal cornice. Second floor added early C19, has 9-paned
sashes and octagonal window to centre. Roof hipped, and two 12-
paned sashed and hipped dormers. Stacks to side walls of block.
Extensive rear block added c1840 and this, with east and west
fronts refaced 1913 when south west wing and block extended to east
as 3 storeys and basement service wing. Rear elevation is in
Flemish bond brickwork with tiled roof, stone quoins to wings.
Five bay central block with large semi-circular two-storey central
bay, and l-bay end wings projecting. Central section has
continuous iron balcony of c1840. South front has canted bay, and
to rear of front block a door with eared architrave and open
pediment enclosing mantled arms. Datestone on quoined wing reads
AT CT (Tryon) 1913.
Interior: Entrance hall has black and white stone tiles and
moulded plaster cornice. Wide corridor to right leads to C19 stair
with simple wreathed handrails. Classroom to right of hallway has
moulded cornice and timber chimneypiece. Most of interior mid Cl9.
Forecourt walls, C18, brick with stone weathered copings form
semi-circular arms and terminate in brick piers with pyramidal
Listing NGR: SU1378638495
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings