History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Post Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Syleham, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3527 / 52°21'9"N

Longitude: 1.2494 / 1°14'57"E

OS Eastings: 621391

OS Northings: 277707

OS Grid: TM213777

Mapcode National: GBR VKN.JPB

Mapcode Global: VHL9H.L4W7

Plus Code: 9F43963X+3Q

Entry Name: Post Mill

Listing Date: 27 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284505

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280073

Location: Syleham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Syleham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Syleham St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in


In the entry for the Following:
SYLEHAM Wingfield Road
TM 27 NW
- Post Mill
-- II

The discription shall be amended to read:

Corn Windmill. Built 1730 at Earsham Street; moved to present
position in 1823; damaged in storm of October 1987. Roundhouse
of clay lump, plastered and tarred with boarded conical roof; part
of timber-framed buck remains above. Circular roundhouse with
rectangular-plan buck. East Suffolk postmill. Two-storey round-
house; buck formerly of 3 storeys. Roundhouse has two boarded
hatches with boarded doors below; ladder to buck, formerly turned
by six-bladed fantail now missing. Interior of roundhouse: brick
piers and crosstrees to bottom storey; full-height stop-chamfered
post with quarter bars to buck; two pairs of engine-driven
millstones on a hursting complete with tuns,horses, hoppers etc..


TM 27 NW
5/124 Post Mill
-- II

Post mill, now derelict. Built 1730 at Earsham Street, Wingfield and moved to
its present site c.1823. Last worked by wind 1954. Timber framed and
weatherboarded buck with 3 floors on a 2-storey roundhouse of flint and clay
lump, rendered and tarred. Remains of 2 patent sails, their shutters now
stored inside the mill. Formerly winded by a fantail (now missing).
Machinery intact; includes cast iron windshaft on which are mounted wooden
clasp-arm head and tail wheels, each driving a pair of millstones via stone
nuts. The head stones have been removed. A further pair of stones in the
roundhouse was driven by a small oil engine in an adjoining shed.

Listing NGR: TM2139177707

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.