This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4709 / 51°28'15"N
Longitude: -1.7199 / 1°43'11"W
OS Eastings: 419553
OS Northings: 174692
OS Grid: SU195746
Mapcode National: GBR 4WH.PZF
Mapcode Global: VHC1H.49M8
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311328
Location: Ogbourne St. George, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Ogbourne St. George
Built-Up Area: Ogbourne St George
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 17 SE OGBOURNE ST GEORGE -
7/76 Church of St. George
Anglican parish church. Late C12-early C13, C14, C15 and restored
1873 by T.H. Wyatt. Random flint and limestone, limestone
dressings, and slate roofs with lead to aisles and porch. Nave,
north and south aisles and south porch. Chancel and west tower.
Porch C15 with moulded outer arch and low pitched parapet.
Parallel buttresses. Sundial over arch and 2 mass dials. Good
gargoyles. Inner door later C13 with crocketed nodding niche
over. Two-light cinquefoiled windows to nave clerestory, 3 and 4-
light C14 square headed windows to aisles. Chancel early C14 but
largely rebuilt in 1873. Two-light windows and 3-light east
window with reticulated tracery. South priest's door. Clasping
buttress in south east corner. Tower of 3 stages with 3-light
window over door and 2-light bell openings. Crenellated parapet
with gargoyles. North aisle door reset.
Interior: nave of 3 bays, double chamfered pointed arches on
arcade of round columns, those on north with round capitals, on
south carved with varied transitional leaf forms, probably
reworked. West bay of north arcade added. C19 five-bay timber
roof, the trusses supported on wall posts and corbels. Tall C15
tower arch. Opening for rood stair on north, trefoiled squint
from south aisle opposite. Small niche in west wall. Chancel
arch simply chamfered. Open C19 stained timber hammerbeam roof.
Double recess on south side of sanctuary. Openings to aisle
chapel on south, and to organ chamber, formerly chapel of the Holy
Trinity endowed 1449, on north, this having corbel and piscina.
Aisle roofs C19.
Fittings: Font, on raised base of tower, C15, octagonal bowl with
quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit late C19 with sunflower panels, on
stone base. C19 sanctuary rail.
Monuments: In nave, three C19 wall tablets, white marble on slate.
North aisle has alabaster Great War memorial and C20 limestone
tablet. Marble tablet in south aisle to John Canning, died 1841.
Brass, by pulpit, two standing figures with inscribed panel under,
to Thomas Goddard and wife, died 1607. In chancel painted panel
with early Victorian royal arms and wings with painted
commandments, C18 repainted C19.
(VCH XII, 159; Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU1955374692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings