This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2586 / 52°15'31"N
Longitude: 1.1156 / 1°6'56"E
OS Eastings: 612732
OS Northings: 266845
OS Grid: TM127668
Mapcode National: GBR TKB.6XF
Mapcode Global: VHL9T.9H4D
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281704
Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford
Built-Up Area: Wetheringsett
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD CHURCH STREET
TM 16 NW
3/119 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1850's. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch, north vestry (formerly a chapel). Flint rubble with stone
dressings. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, the aisle roofs leaded. Good
C15 square tower: 4-stage angle buttresses with chequer flushwork, the 4
against the west corner containing empty cusped image niches. Plain embattled
parapet. West face has large open arch with continuous mouldings and mask
label stops. Above is an image niche with cusped ogee head. Small trefoil-
headed windows at ringing chamber level. 2-light belfry openings. West end
of nave has good moulded doorway with mask label stops. Cusped niche above.
C13 4-bay aisles with much-renewed 3-light Perpendicular-style windows; south
aisle has C14 west window with reticulated tracery. Both aisles retain C13
doorways, each with one order of colonnettes and a moulded 2-centred arch.
South doorway has repaired medieval door. C15 porch, faced in knapped flint;
flushwork-panelled parapet with square corner pinnacles and central gable.
Much-renewed moulded entrance arch, enriched with crowns and shields, with a
coat of arms at the apex; fleuron-enriched hoodmould on lion corbels.
Original arched-braced roof, the main components moulded. Late C15
clerestorey with a range of 8 closely-set 3-light windows with buttresses
between; the windows are shafted internally. Chancel much restored:
Perpendicular-style windows of 2 lights to sides and 4 lights to east; moulded
Priest's doorway. Interior. C13 4-bay arcades and chancel arch. 8-bay nave
roof renewed 1828: flat embattled tie beams with pierced panelling above;
pierced braces from tie beams to shafted wallposts. Panelled chancel ceiling
of 1850's. Aisle roofs probably C15 but considerably restored. Stairs to
rood loft (south east nave) and parclose loft (south aisle). Much renewed C13
triple sedilia has enriched trefoil arches and Purbeck marble shafts; flanking
mask corbels, one probably original. In vestry, much mutilated remains of an
unusual double angle piscina with leaf ornament, probably C13. Octagonal font
bowl, said to be of c.1660, the panels simply carved, mainly with shields.
Older base, perhaps C13, with 8 engaged shafts. Poppyhead benches, some with
C15 ends, the majority C19. 2 C15 misericords in sanctuary. Other
furnishings mid-late C19. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs, especially to members
of the Sheppard family.
Listing NGR: TM1273266845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings