This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6782 / 51°40'41"N
Longitude: -1.2542 / 1°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 451660
OS Northings: 197974
OS Grid: SU516979
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZX.MQT
Mapcode Global: VHCY7.62SV
Plus Code: 9C3WMPHW+78
Entry Name: Wick Hall and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249759
Location: Radley, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
Civil Parish: Radley
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Radley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
9/84 Wick Hall and attached walls
09/02/66 (Formerly listed as Wick Hall
(old part) and walls of walled
House. c.1720, for Mrs Tomkins: late C19 extensions, by Charles Bell for the
Dockar-Drysdales. Coursed limestone rubble with brick quoins and dressings;
hipped old tile roof; end stacks of brick to left and stone with gauged brick
quoins and cornice to right. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. Two
storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range. C18 two-panelled door with
overlight, and very fine plastered shell hood with console-brackets. Gauged
brick flat arches and coved cornice over late C19/C20 two-light casements.
Similar 5-bay right side wall has original wood-mullioned and transomed cross
window above C18 plank door with overlight and tightly-moulded pediment hood:
5-bay left side wall has similar original stair-light window. Extensions to rear
of mid 1880's to 1890's by Charles Bell: in "Queen Anne" style, similar to old
part of Wick Hall: tall sashes and cross-windows with wrought-iron fittings.
Interior: stone-flag floors, panelled doors and shutters. Hall: straight-cut
panelling, and dog-leg with landing staircase to rear left which has
barley-sugar balusters on closed string, panelled spandrel and dado and ramped
handrail. Small panelled room with bolection-moulded overmantle to left. Keyed
archway with moulded imposts, entablature and flanking panelled pilaster leads
from hall to rear passage with straight-cut panelling and plank door to cellar:
fine bolection-moulded panelled room with fireplace to left, and early C18
fireplace with spit racks in kitchen to right. First floor: landing and rear
passage have bolection-moulded and straight-cut dado panels. Two panelled rooms
to right (originally divided by closet): front room has bolection-moulded
architrave and Delft tiles and cast-iron backplate to fireplace. Fine
bolection-panelled room to rear left: bolection-moulded fireplace and
deeply-moulded cornice in room to rear right. Winder stair to attic has
bolection-moulded panels and moulded newel. Rear wing has early C17 Flemish
panelling removed from Exeter College Chapel, Oxford: tall panelled dado, 3-bay
screen and fireplace are all lavishly carved in Artisan Mannerist style, the
latter with musical instruments: another smaller room has early C14 door heads
reset in internal porch, and tester and sound board of early C17 pulpit.
Subsidiary features: two walls of uncoursed limestone rubble with brick
dog-tooth coping run approx. 40m. to left and are linked by low right-angled
wall. Map of 1739 in owner possession depicts front of house with cross
windows: bought by Dockar-Drysdales in 1850.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.197; National Monuments Record - for
photographs of early C17 panelling).
Listing NGR: SU5166097974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings