History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grange Farm House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wyverstone, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2732 / 52°16'23"N

Longitude: 0.9757 / 0°58'32"E

OS Eastings: 603119

OS Northings: 268070

OS Grid: TM031680

Mapcode National: GBR SHM.FHQ

Mapcode Global: VHKD8.V4P5

Plus Code: 9F427XFG+77

Entry Name: Grange Farm House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279587

Location: Wyverstone, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wyverstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wyverstone St George

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in


TM 06 NW
4/131 Grange Farm House
- II*

Farmhouse, latterly 2 dwellings. Mid C16 with C15 origins, extended early
C17, staircase bay added c.1700, remodelled 1780, altered C19. Timber frame,
plastered with some red brick. Steeply pitched plaintiled and machine tiled
roofs. 4 or 5 bay core was originally part open, extended by 2 bays to left
and with a 2 bay crosswing to right which was then upper or parlour end,
original positon of stack or smoke hood unclear, stair wing added to rear; in
late C18 parlour became service end and existing stacks built. 2 storeys and
attics. Main range appears as a long 3 cell cross passage plan. Entrance is
to left of centre into left bay of early core, margin glazed double doors,
early C19 architrave with roundels at corners, lozenge frieze, panelled hood.
3 broadly spaced 3-light part opening glazing bar casements, ground floor
hoodboards. Traces of herringbone pargetting, brick plinth, boxed eaves. 2-
light gabled dormers to centre and right, C18 axial ridge stack to right of
centre. Left or former service end exposed tie beam, pentice boards,
bargeboards, C19 external stack. To right projecting forward slightly is
former parlour crosswing with a slightly lower ridge, 4-light part opening
glazing bar casements, oversailing gable. Right return has a red brick
kitchen stack dated 1780 in a terracotta panel, offset plinth to large base,
narrow shaft axial on a separate roof, an entrance behind stack. To rear
opposite main entrance a part glazed 6 panelled door, surround with jewelled
corners, behind original upper end is short c.1700 full height gabled stair
bay, flanking slate roofed lean-to's with an entrance to left into crosswing.
Attached to left a C19 red brick outbuilding. Interior: much of frame is
concealed, hall has close studding, posts of large scantling to probable
former open truss retaining tenons of arched braces, inserted floor has runout
stopped quirked wave moulded crossed binding beams, joists and end beams,
upper beam beyond C18 stack; former parlour now kitchen has a recessed triple
roll moulded cross axial binding beam, late C18 mantelpiece. Staircase of
c.1700 in an irregular dogleg has barley sugar balusters, moulded newel posts
rounded on inner faces, plain handrail. Present broad 'cross entry' bay has
a C19 staircase with slat balusters, moulded newel posts. First floor close
studding, stop chamfered wall plates, binding beams and joists, heavily jowled
corner posts, removed arched braces to tie beams. Roof has collars and halved
principals clasping purlins, arched windbraces.

Listing NGR: TM0311968070

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.