History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Garsington, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7139 / 51°42'50"N

Longitude: -1.161 / 1°9'39"W

OS Eastings: 458060

OS Northings: 202017

OS Grid: SP580020

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZN.F9D

Mapcode Global: VHCY2.T5LZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 18 August 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246439

Location: Garsington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Garsington

Built-Up Area: Garsington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Garsington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SP 5802
8/51
18/07/63


GARSINGTON
SOUTHEND(West side)Church of St Mary

GII*
Church.C.1200,C.1300,C14 restored C.1850,Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings;some Westmorland slate roofs.Four-bay aisled nave with chancel,west tower and south porch.Chancel of C.1300 has three two-light windows each side with Y-tracery,the western pair lower with transoms;three-light east window with intersecting tracery,and priests door in south wall.Two-light square headed side windows of nave have oggee tracery.Reticulated tracery in west windows of aisles.Three-light east window to south aisle has lobed tracery.Stage Transitional tower of C.1200 has at the lower stage,clasping buttresses and round-headed west window with pointed outer arch and detached shafts,plain lancets to the second stage,and pairs of lancets to each face of the top stage with outer roll-mouled arches on detached shafts and linked hood-moulds,below a decayed corbel table.Interior:C14 nave arcades of two chamfered orders under hood-moulds-round piers to north and later octagonal piers to south.Sexfoil clerestory lights have three-centred rear arches.Tower arch has shafts and stiff-leaf capitals.Chancel arch,probably all roofs,wooden south porch,winged parapet gargoyles and much rebuilding,particularly of the north aisle,date from a thorough restoratin of 1849 by Joseph Clarke.Woodwork all C19 except for barley twist communion rail in south aisle and C15 screen re-set in tower arch.Glass:Armorial panels of 1845 by J.H.Russell;east window of 1883,brought from Church of St.Giles,Oxford.Monuments:Mutilated floor slab C.1300;brass 1484;C18 wall tablets to members of Wickham and Sadler families;shallow relief profile of Lady Ottoline Morrell(died 1938)said to be by Eric Gill.(V.C.H. Oxfordshire,V,pp.154-6;Buildings of England:Oxfordshire pp.610-11).

Listing NGR: SP5806002017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.