This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2475 / 51°14'51"N
Longitude: -2.2019 / 2°12'7"W
OS Eastings: 386000
OS Northings: 149836
OS Grid: ST860498
Mapcode National: GBR 1TL.N42
Mapcode Global: VH978.SX80
Entry Name: Baptist Church and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313196
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SP 85 SE 1/69
ST 85 SE 2/69
WESTBURY LEIGH (south east side)
Baptist Church and Gatepiers
Built 1796-97 while Robert Marsham was pastor. Altered, enriched and enlarged (with Sunday School etc) 1847-71. [VCH] Impressive building with single pediment front at angle to street and set back at a high level with ramped road approach above rubble stone retaining wall and inner (concrete) retaining wall to churchyard giving effect of double terrace.
Red brick with stone band at base of pediment, moulded stone coping with bracketed angle knee piece of stone. Semi-circular window in tympanum with plain stone surround and key block. Three arched windows in similar surround on first floor, two similar windows on ground floor and double six-panel central door in stone architrave with key block and surround of stone pilasters and cut brackets supporting cornice and pediment, with bedmould coved over brackets. Flanking walls to steps with moulded coping. The side elevations, English bond, have three arched windows and cogged eaves cornice. Secondary smaller block at back [Sunday School] with two tall rectangular windows [glazing bar sashes] with brick flat arches and low pitched slate roofs. Two sets of square stone rusticated gate piers with moulded cap curved with fan and key ornament, at left hand and to right of concrete faced retaining wall.
Interior of church galleried with rounded corners to south east; galleries with fielded panels and dentil moulding to cornice. Most of the C19 pews in situ. Mid C19 organ. Enriched cornice with egg and dart and patterned ceiling roses.
Listing NGR: ST8600049836
Other nearby listed buildings