This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1073 / 52°6'26"N
Longitude: 0.7965 / 0°47'47"E
OS Eastings: 591604
OS Northings: 249129
OS Grid: TL916491
Mapcode National: GBR RHZ.XWJ
Mapcode Global: VHKDY.R9FD
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 23 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 276844
Location: Lavenham, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Lavenham
Built-Up Area: Lavenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lavenham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
LAVENHAM WATER STREET
TL 9149 50/691 23.1.58
Originally a C15 building, with later alterations and additions. It
stands back a little way from the street and adjoins the cross wing of
No 68 on the west. A brick wall of about 6 ft high protects the front.
The original house had a main block with a cross wing at the west end.
The main block is now obscured by the cross wing of No 68 and by another
gabled wing to the west of it. Roofs tiled. Two storeys. The timber-framing
is exposed on the west side of the centre gabled wing and on part of
the upper storey of the west side of the cross wing. The cross wing
has a jettied upper storey on the north gabled front on exposed joists
and an embattled bressumer, also carved bargeboards and bressumer to
the gable. There is the remains of some elaborate floral pargetting
similar to that of No 68. The windows are mainly double-hung sashes
with glazing bars and there are some blocked original windows under the
eaves. Nos 68 and 69 are said to have been one large building known
as the Priory, originally owned by the Priory of Earles Colne, Essex.
Listing NGR: TL9160449129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings