This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2784 / 51°16'42"N
Longitude: -2.1094 / 2°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 392467
OS Northings: 153254
OS Grid: ST924532
Mapcode National: GBR 2VN.TSL
Mapcode Global: VH97B.D46B
Plus Code: 9C3V7VHR+97
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313799
Location: Edington, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Edington
Built-Up Area: Edington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Edington and Imber
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 95 SW
5/160 The Grange
Detached house. Mid C18, late C18 rear range. Flemish bond
brick with stone dressings and chamfered quoins, tiled roof with
coped verges and gable end brick stacks. Two-storey, 3-window.
Central door with 6 fielded panels in moulded stone architrave with
flat stone hood on brackets, 3-light beaded mullioned and transomed
casements with quadrant stays either side, string course over
lintels. First floor has 3-light mullioned and transomed casement
either side of central 2-light mullioned casement with semi-
circular headed lights, imposts and keystones. Right return has
large external stack with offsets. Left return has single-light
casements and external stack with date 1773 to rear range. Rear
of late C18 range has 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors,
gabled roof, lead rainwater goods; single storey kitchen to left
and extension with stone slate roof and C20 patio doors.
Interior has central entrance hall with arch with keystone and
imposts leading to good dogleg stairs with 2 turned balusters per
tread, panelled dado. Single-storey kitchen has chamfered beams
with ogee stops. Front rooms have chamfered beams and dentilled
wooden ceiling cornices, drawing room has moulded stone fireplace.
C19 rear drawing room has reeded marble fireplace surround. Doors
with 4 fielded panels in headed architraves. Six-bay collar-
truss roof. Lavinia Fenton, a C18 actress and mistress of 3rd
Duke of Bolton reputedly lived here.
Listing NGR: ST9245853261
Other nearby listed buildings