This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1677 / 52°10'3"N
Longitude: 1.1393 / 1°8'21"E
OS Eastings: 614782
OS Northings: 256802
OS Grid: TM147568
Mapcode National: GBR TLJ.0VQ
Mapcode Global: VHLB6.PSN4
Entry Name: Street Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279634
Location: Crowfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Crowfield
Built-Up Area: Crowfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Crowfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
CROWFIELD STONE STREET
TM 15 NW
3/15 Street Farmhouse
Former farmhouse, early C15 or c.1400, with alterations of c.1600 and c.1980.
1 storey and attics; the 2-storey parlour block of c.1600 to right. 3-cell
plan with cross-entry. Timber-framed and rough-cast. Roman pantiled roof,
once thatched, an axial chimney of c.1600 red brick with a splayed pilaster
upon the front face. C20 gabled casement dormers. Wooden casements of c.1980
with leaded glazing, a c.1600 ovolo-mullioned window in the rear wall. A
central 2-bay C15 open hall: the open truss is entirely removed but its two
posts leave mortices for long arch-braces to the missing tie-beam, and the
remains of pilaster-shafts beneath them. A blocked 2-centred arched front
doorway and one mutilated 4-centred arched service room doorway (the altered
parlour doorway from the hall was also 4-centred and was screened by a spere).
Studwork of average spacing. Smoke-blackened roof believed to survive; it is
probably of coupled-rafter form. The remodelled service cell has some heavy
unchamfered floor joists and original roof. Circa 1600 an upper floor of
chamfered joists was inserted in the hall. Large hall fireplace with deep C16
lintel. Open fireplaces also in rebuilt parlour cell; close-studding and
clasped purlin roof. Major remodelling c.1980.
Listing NGR: TM1478256802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings