History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holm Oak House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gislingham, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2982 / 52°17'53"N

Longitude: 1.038 / 1°2'16"E

OS Eastings: 607250

OS Northings: 271018

OS Grid: TM072710

Mapcode National: GBR TJM.Z37

Mapcode Global: VHKD3.YH3K

Plus Code: 9F4372XQ+76

Entry Name: Holm Oak House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285277

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279512

Location: Gislingham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Gislingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Gislingham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in


TM 0771
6/56 Holm Oak House (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Rushgreen
Farmhouse and Dairy wing)


House. Mid C16 with C15 origins possible, altered and extended c.1600,
altered early C19. Timber frame, plastered. Thatched roof. Possible open
hall origins, 4 unequal bays probably with a smoke hood in large upper bay,
stack and 2 bay parlour added. 2 storeys. Ground floor: main entrance at
lower end of hall with a c.1800 part glazed and part raised 6 panelled door,
Doric doorcase with fluted pilasters, entablature and pediment; to left in
original cross entry position a second recessed raised 6 panelled door, shaped
brackets to simple hood; 2 and 3-light glazing bar casements with hoodboards,
some metal frames. First floor dual 3-light part opening casements over hall,
flanking part opening 4-light casements. Axial ridge stack between hall and
parlour has chamfered arrises. Left end secondary hip to roof with a C19
external stack with oven outshuts. To rear a boarded cross entry door, 3-
light metal frame casements and on first floor over parlour an C18 ovolo
mullioned 4-light lattice leaded window. Extending behind service bay a low 1
storey and attic C18 backhouse with exposed plates and purlins. Interior:
cross entry in broad bay with reset late C17 panelling from a screen, a
chamfered 4 centred arched doorway into service bay, original stairs to rear
of service bay, exposed studding of large scantling. Hall has chamfered cross
axial binding beams, joists, storey posts and fireplace bressumer, traces of
diamond mullioned window openings. Added stack bay has rectangular mullioned
2-light window openings. Parlour has close studding, stop chamfered cross
axial binding beam, joists and fireplace bressumer, recessed ovolo mullioned
3-light window openings. First floor: reverse cranked and reverse curved
arched braces in walling, cranked arched braces to cambered tie beams, towards
upper end of hall chamber a truss to presumed smoke hood has been removed,
inserted stop chamfered axial binding beams; parlour chamber has cranked
arched braces in walling, stop chamfered cross axial binding beam. Queen post
roof over 4 early bays, cambered collars, longitudinal arched braces; parlour
roof has butt purlins with arched windbraces.

Listing NGR: TM0725071018

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.