This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3098 / 51°18'35"N
Longitude: -2.2506 / 2°15'2"W
OS Eastings: 382631
OS Northings: 156774
OS Grid: ST826567
Mapcode National: GBR 1SR.V43
Mapcode Global: VH971.YB2R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314709
Location: Wingfield, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Wingfield
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wingfield St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 85 NW WINGFIELD CHURCH LANE
6/261 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. C15, C18, 1861 chancel rebuilding.
Dressed limestone, and ashlar, stone slate nave roof, Welsh slate
chancel roof, octagonal stone stack. Plan: West tower, nave with
south porch, chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. C19
south porch wth segmental-headed double ribbed doors, coped verge
with cross finial, 1622 tablet possibly reset. Nave has chamfered
pointed C18 window to left, memorial tablet to Tillie family, large
segmental-headed C18 window with central mullion to right, large
pedimented tablet with illegible inscription to right, buttress
with offsets, stone eaves cornice. Lean-to with pointed ribbed
door against south side of chancel. Chancel has 3-light
Perpendicular east window, no north or south windows. C19 organ
chamber to north has 2-light Perpendicular east window, 3-light to
north and reset C17 tablet to west side. North side of nave has
moulded pointed doorway and C18 deeply chamfered pointed window to
right. Three-stage C15 tower has diagonal buttresses, string
courses and moulded plinth; moulded Tudor-arched west doorway with
3-light Perpendicular window over, middle stage has single arched
light to west and south sides, bellstage with 2-light louvred
Perpendicular windows, cornice with gargoyles to battlemented
parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, pyramidal stone slate
roof. Polygonal stair turret on north side has arrowloops.
Interior. Porch has C18 inner doorway with segmental head with
dropped keystone, ribbed door. Nave has C18 shallow barrel-vaulted
ceiling with wooden ribs and dentil cornice. C19 west gallery with
cusped panelled front on wooden posts, partly filling moulded
pointed tower arch with attached shafts. Pair of Tudor-arched
moulded arches lead into organ chamber and vestry; C19 collar
truss roof. Chancel has coved plaster ceiling with three rib-
panelled bays, C20 panelled dado. Other fittings: pews with poppy
heads probably early C20, C19 pulpit with traceried panels, square
stone font with unusual fluted bowl, Commandment boards flanking
east window of chancel, C17 parish chest fixed to south nave wall.
Monuments: 1663 pedimented tablet to Christopher Baylie reset in
vestry. Fine monument in nave to John Bayley died 1665 with
twisted columns and entablature and broken segmental pediment,
draped marble tablet to Edward Wadman died 1742. In the chancel
classical black and white marble tablets to Thomas Morris died 1818
by Reeves of Bath, to Reverend Edward Spencer died 1819. Several
C19 brass tablets to Copland Griffiths and Caillard families; the
latter lived at Wingfield House (q.v.).
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8263156774
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings