This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5126 / 51°30'45"N
Longitude: -0.0899 / 0°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 532646
OS Northings: 181030
OS Grid: TQ326810
Mapcode National: GBR RC.ZY
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.D7CR
Plus Code: 9C3XGW76+33
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199806
Location: City of London, London, EC4N
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Walbrook
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Walbrook
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3281 SE 10/258
WALBROOK EC4 (East Side)
Church of St Stephen
1672 to 87 by Wren. Rectangular body with stone columns supporting large, plaster dome with barrel-vaulted arms (additional bay to west) and flat ceilings to corner compartments. West lobby and porch (plus vestry and tower to north) extend to street frontage.
Plain exterior of ashlar, rubble and brick, partly rendered, with simple cornice and blocking. Round-arched, circular and elliptical windows. Recessed clerestory. Copper roofed dome arid lantern. Plain tower in four stages of squared stone with dressings and part refacing of Portland stone. Crowning cornice and balustrade, and open, stone steeple in five diminishing stages with weather vane and order of Ionic columns to lowest stage. New, enclosed staircase at base of north side of tower. Corniced porch, with round-arched entrance and enriched elliptical opening above. Stone steps inside rise to corniced doorway.
Interior has order of Corinthian columns and pilasters, on low pedestals, with rich entablature. Eight arches support the coffered dome and lantern, all with plaster enrichment. Clerestory windows segmentally arched or lunettes. Pavement and some fittings of C19 date but following are original: fine wainscot with benching, reredos (with C19 pediment), communion table and rails, pulpit and tester, west gallery with organ and doorway below, font and cover. Large, later C18 altar piece by Benjamin West, now in north transept. Good wall monuments.
Listing NGR: TQ3264681030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings