This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9666 / 51°57'59"N
Longitude: 1.1452 / 1°8'42"E
OS Eastings: 616154
OS Northings: 234462
OS Grid: TM161344
Mapcode National: GBR TNV.NBC
Mapcode Global: VHLC5.STRS
Plus Code: 9F33X48W+J3
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277541
Location: Stutton, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Stutton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stutton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 13 SE STUTTON STUTTON GREEN
5/89 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C15 nave and south tower, ground floor of which serves as south
porch. C19 chancel, south vestry, north chapel and north transept. C12 window
and decoration reset in east wall of vestry. Mainly flint faced over rubble walls,
plastered to north walls and south vestry. Flint flush chequerwork to crenellations
and plinth. Stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs, that to nave lower than
chancel, stone parapet verges to gables, cross to chancel east gable, plinth follows
through. Chancel: East window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2-
centred head, label with foliate stops. Angle buttresses, north and south wall
windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, moulded segmental heads and labels.
South vestry: Buttress to southern angles. South wall, quatrefoiled roundel to
gable, window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights under a square head, west wall, small
window, trefoiled 2-centre arched, east wall small, reset, decorated C12 round-
headed window, above and below the window are fragments of Norman decoration. C19
2-centre arched doorway under a square head and label, carved spandrels. North
chapel: Gabled to east with quatrefoiled roundel to gable, window of 3 trefoiled
ogee lights, tracery over, segmental head and label, buttress to north-east angle.
North wall, east and west chamfered trefoiled 2-centred arches, labels over, central
window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, segmental head and label. North
transept: North wall window of 3 cinquefoil lights, tracery over, 4-centred head
and label. 2 small trefoiled lights to west wall. Nave: North wall, 2 windows,
2-centred heads, Y-tracery, buttresses between windows and to west of west window.
West wall, buttressed at angles. Cross to gable. Square louvred light to gable.
West window possibly C15, tall, of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights above and below a
transom, tracery over. South wall, three 2-centre arched windows, Y-tracery to
central windows, trefoiled with quatrefoils to east and west windows. South Tower:
Crenellated with gargoyles to east, south and west faces, buttresses to southern
angles, flint chequerwork to crenellations, plinth and buttresses. Each face of
bell chamber with a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, segmental head and label.
Slit light to first floor west wall and a small window with cinquefoiled head and
label to south face. Traces of a red brick arch to ground floor west wall. South
doorway, moulded 2-centred arch and label, moulded capitals and bases to jamb shafts.
Pair of double doors, each of 5 overlapping boards, carved lintel over and boarding
above. Interior: South Porch: (Ground floor of south tower). Stone flag floor.
Panelled chests to east and west walls. Nave south doorway, chamfered and moulded
2-centred arch of 3 orders, moulded label, moulded door of 5 overlapping boards,
3 strap hinges, central boss to centre hinge probably the plate of sanctuary knocker.
Chancel: Roof of 3 bays, double side purlins and ridge board, arched braces to
lower purlins, arched braces to collars supported by stone corbels, tracery above
collars. C19 coloured tiled floor. Reredos of 3 traceried and painted panels.
Side panels of stone cinquefoiled double arches, moulded capitals and bases to
shafts. South wall piscina, trefoiled 2-centred head and label, octofoil drain.
Stone shelf to north wall. C19 and C20 stained glass to windows, (much of the C19
glass was destroyed during the 1939-45 war). Wooden screen of 5 bays, cusped arches,
tracery over, entrance through central bay. Organ to south wall (vestry entrance)
floor slab to vault, coat of arms 'confido' and lion crest. North wall, entrance
to north chapel, moulded 4-centred arch springing from foliate corbels, moulded
label, foliate stops. 2 floor slabs at entrance to chapel, (1) Richard ? White,
1747, Coat of Arms. (2) George May, 1764, Coat of Arms. North chapel and north
transept (1862) archway between, chamfered 2-centred arch with chamfered stone fire
surround set into north-eastern jamb. Hatchment above arch. Area of red and yellow
painted tiles to floor. Roofs of 7 cants. C19 stained glass to windows. Wall
slab to Sisley Rowe 164?3. Memorials to Rev Tobias Rustat and Sarah his relict
1766. Rev Thos Mills, 1827. Nave: C19 chancel arch, chamfered 2-centred arch
springing from foliate corbels. Royal arms board over. Altar rails, posts of
twisted brass, moulded wooden top rail. Brass lectern. Octagonal pulpit with no
stem, pierced traceried panels. South wall, blocked stop chamfered 4-centre arched
doorway, probably to former rood loft stairs. Brick floor throughout. Pews with
carved poppyheads, side and front panels. South wall, 9 stone or brass C19/C20
wall plaques to Reade family and one to R Gladwell. C19 stained glass to windows.
Three C19/C20 wall brasses to north wall. North wall monuments, urn on a shelf
with pendants, Bridget Allen 1777. Mary and Gill Bradley 1815 and 1821. To north
west and south west walls are 2 similar monuments, that to north wall John Jermy
1662 and his wife, set within a pair of arches the carved kneeling couple face each
other with a prayer desk and open books before them, behind the man is a son and
behind the woman 2 daughters. Carved pilasters, cornice and coat of arms over.
Below are side pendants and scrolls with 2 inscribed panels between, a poem written
by John Jermy in memory of his wife a little before his death. The south wall
monument is similar, to Isaac and Lady Jane Jermy 1623, the clothes are different
and there are no kneeling children. Below the west window a plaque relates the
enlargement and rearrangement of the church, 1862. 2-centred archway to stair
turret, door of 4 boards with nailed muntins. Octagonal font, two 2-centred arches
to each face, large central column to stem with 8 smaller angle columns, all with
capitals and bases, octagonal base. 5 cant roof of 7 bays, boarded between
principals, carved figures holding shields to east and west of north and south
moulded wall plates.
Listing NGR: TM1615434462
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings