History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John of Jerusalem

A Grade I Listed Building in Winkburn, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1172 / 53°7'2"N

Longitude: -0.938 / 0°56'16"W

OS Eastings: 471174

OS Northings: 358311

OS Grid: SK711583

Mapcode National: GBR BJK.HNS

Mapcode Global: WHFH7.KXJ4

Plus Code: 9C5X4386+VQ

Entry Name: Church of St John of Jerusalem

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242203

Location: Winkburn, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Winkburn

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Winkburn

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in


(north side)

4/147 Church of St. John
of Jerusalem


Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C16, tower rebuilt C17, re-roofed
1853. Dressed coursed rubble, render to all but tower and part
of porch. Slate roofs. East nave and chancel coped. Buttressed.
Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Diagonally buttressed
embattled tower with single C19 crocketed pinnacles at the
angles. Set on a plinth, chamfered to the south, of 3 stages
with bands. West side has a single arched C14 window with 2
arched and cusped lights. Above is a single blocked lozenge
shaped opening. The north side has a single rectangular light
and above a single recessed panel w th decoratively carved
surround inscribed "New Built Ano Domi 16.2 William B.... Thomas
W...." The south side has 2 rectangular lights. The 4 C12
arched bell chamber openings are decorated with chevron to jambs
and arch on the west side, the north side with chevron decoration
remaining to jambs only. The south side has cable moulding to
jambs and arch, and the east side cable moulding to arch, chevron
to jambs and inner arches. The inner arches of the other 3
openings with worn decoration. Over the south opening is a
single rectangular blind panel and below the east opening is a
raised and stepped band. The north nave has a single segmental
arched light under a flat arch. To the left is a single C16
window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch, further left is a
single C17 2 light window with single ashlar mullion under a flat
arch. The north chancel has a Caernarvon arched doorway and to
the left a single C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped
lights, reticulated tracery, flat arch, hood mould and label
stops. The east end is set on a plinth and has a single diagonal
buttress to the south. Single arched restored window with 3
arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. Under
extends a sill band which continues under the south chancel
windows. South chancel set on a plinth with 2 C14 restored
windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, reticulated
tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the right of the left
window is an ashlar memorial to Eliza Parker, 1700, surmounting
the inscription is an arched head flanked by single decorative
scrolls with entablature. To the left of this window is a single
rectangular recessed blind panel. The south nave has a single
restored C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. To
the left is a single arched C14 window with 2 arched and cusped
lights. Gabled and coped porch with kneelers, chamfered arched
entrance with imposts and hood mould. Inner C12 doorway
decorated with varying worn beakheads to jambs and arch, hood
mould with grotesque label stops, C17 door. To the right is a
blocked stoup. To the left of the porch is a single C13 lancet
and in the narrow west wall a single blocked arched panel.
Interior. Re-set C12 tower arch, jambs and voussoirs decorated
with chevron and zigzag, with arch now blocked with C18 wooden
panel with doorway. The nave and chancel are divided by a C17
screen with octagonal wooden columns, 3 round arches and open
traceried spandrels. C17 circular ashlar font and pedestal.
Pulpit with C17 decorative panels and tester. Late C17 barley
sugar altar rails further decorated with stylised leaves.
Opposite the south doorway is a pew with similarly decorated
balusters, remaining are C18 box pews. Decoratively carved C17
chest, C17 altar table. In the east chancel is a good monument
to William Burnell, probably 1609, consisting of a large kneeling
figure with sword set into a recess. The inscription beneath is
flanked by single decorative fluted brackets which support shaped
urns and Doric columns with architrave over surmounted by further
inscription and entablaturd surmounted by decorative shields.
There is a further good monument to D'Arcy Burnell, 1774. This
has the inscription flanked by decorative pilasters, above is a
central pedestal decorated with a shield and surmounted by an
urn. On the left side of the pedestal is a large figure of Death
holding a torch and on the right side a large figure of Fame
holding a portrait of Burnell. In the south chancel is a tomb
chest, 1570, with inset carved figure with shield above the head.
In the south nave is a monument to Mary Pegge Burnell, 1815.
There are several C17 and C18 floor slabs, that to D'Arcy
Burnell, 1727, in the nave is decorated with a shield surmounted
by a lion. Over the chancel screen is a 1764 Royal Arms. The
south nave has a board with script from Exodus Chap. XX. 1199-
1382, there was a camera of the Knights Hospitaller here.

Listing NGR: SK7117658309

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.