This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6507 / 51°39'2"N
Longitude: -1.2761 / 1°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 450177
OS Northings: 194908
OS Grid: SU501949
Mapcode National: GBR 7YY.G5W
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.TRQX
Plus Code: 9C3WMP2F+7G
Entry Name: Culham Manor
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248823
Location: Culham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14
Civil Parish: Culham
Built-Up Area: Culham
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Culham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CULHAM THE GREEN
SU5094 (South side)
12/38 Culham Manor
Manor house. C15, north front rebuilt c.1610, restored and altered mid C20.
Roughcast, probably on stone rubble, with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof;
brick ridge stack to left of centre, stone end stack to left, brick ridge stack
to cross-wing to rear. L-plan, possibly former hall-house with cross wing,
remodelled to E-plan front, later truncated. 2-storey, 3-window range of
single-bay centre with flanking projecting cross-gabled wings. C17 plank door to
recessed porch to left with Jacobean stone archway having decorative frieze.
Flanking 2-light stone mullion windows to centre and right are 4-light stone
mullion windows with hood moulds and leaded lights. 4-light stone mullion and
transom windows with hood moulds and leaded lights to first floor. Coped
cross-gables to left and right with obelisk finials. Right return: uncoursed
stone rubble to ground floor; large timber framing with angle braces and
rendered infill to first floor. 2-storey, 7-window range. Plank door to left of
centre. Irregular fenestration of mostly C20 wood mullioned windows with leaded
lights. Rear: uncoursed stone rubble to ground floor of cross-wing and to rear
of main block; large timber framing with angle braces to first floor of
cross-wing and to cross-gable at right of main block. Irregular fenestration of
mostly C20 wood mullioned windows with leaded lights. Interior: straight flight
stairs with solid wood steps in cross-wing. C18 straight flight staircase to
main block removed from a house in Worcester. King post roof with windbraces
partly visible in cross-wing. Cl6 linen-fold panelling to cross-wing bedroom.
Massive stone 3-centre arched fireplace to ground floor of cross-wing. Most of
the other internal features, including fireplaces, panelling, plasterwork, and
an extensive collection of Flemish stained glass were probably brought in during
the mid C20 restoration for Sir Esmond Ovey. History: originally the medieval
grange of the Aboots of Abingdon. Refronted c.1610 by Thomas Bury.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.565-6; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7,
1962, p.29; Country Life, Vol.108, 1950, July 14th, p.130-134 and July 21st
Listing NGR: SU5017794908
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings