This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2195 / 51°13'10"N
Longitude: -2.2465 / 2°14'47"W
OS Eastings: 382878
OS Northings: 146733
OS Grid: ST828467
Mapcode National: GBR 1TX.GTQ
Mapcode Global: VH97G.0LPY
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313706
Location: Corsley, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Corsley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Corsley and Chadmanslade St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
CORSLEY CORSLEY VILLAGE
ST 84 NW
7/68 Church of St Margaret
Anglican parish church. 1833 by John Leachman, on site of Medieval
chapel of ease, restored 1891 by F.W. Hunt. Coursed rubble stone,
Welsh slate roof. Chancel and nave with gallery under one roof,
west tower over entrance. Central double ribbed west doors in
Tudor-arched surround with square hoodmould, flanking Tudor-arched
doors with dripstones to lean-to vestibules. Four-stage
Perpendicular-style tower has diagonal buttresses, second stage has
3-light Perpendicular-style windows with hoodmould, oculi to north
and south, circular clock face to west side of third stage and 2-
light louvred windows to bellstage, cornice to battlemented
parapet. South side of tower has chamfered lancet to vestibule to
left, nave and chancel to right have four tall recessed lancets
with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds, buttresses with offsets between.
Roof verges with saddleback coping on large kneelers. East end has
diagonal buttresses, 3-light east window. North side has four tall
lancets as south side.
Interior: Side entrances into vestibules with staircases to
gallery; stick balusters and turned newels. West gallery on four
cast-iron columns, front with cusped panels and Royal Arms of
George III. Roof over nave and chancel of very shallow pitch with
rib panels. East end has Tudor-arched panel around window with
attached shafts and stencilled decoration, reredos with prayer
boards. Early C18 hexagonal pulpit with inlaid panels and C20
steps. Mid C19 stone octagonal font with traceried panels below
gallery. 1889 pews and choir stalls on dais at east end. Stained
glass in east window of 1908 by H.J. Salisbury, 1960s glass in
south west window by Hugh Powell. Some monuments from earlier
church; slate and stone tablet on south wall to Thomas Aylesbury
rector died 1724, large classical marble on east wall to Nathaniel
Barton died 1828, several marbles signed Chapman of Frome, for
example to John Carpenter died 1812. Wooden benefactions boards
also retained; in main entrance dated 1688 and on south wall dated
1634. Six C18 bells cast by Cockey of Frome rehung in this church.
(P.H. Gough, The Storey of Corsley and its Church, 1966; N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8287846733
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings