This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4221 / 51°25'19"N
Longitude: -0.2272 / 0°13'37"W
OS Eastings: 523361
OS Northings: 170719
OS Grid: TQ233707
Mapcode National: GBR BM.1DZ
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.0JR6
Entry Name: Chester House
Listing Date: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205188
Location: Merton, London, SW19
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Merton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Wimbledon Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON WEST SIDE COMMON, SW19
7/166 Chester House
Substantial house, now management training centre. Circa 1700 or earlier,
altered. Plum brick, red dressings. Steeply pitched hipped tiled roof to
eaves. 2 storey, 6 1/2 bay central block with slightly projecting pedimented
bay to right with pedimented doorcase having moulded architrave. Further 5-bay
wing to right. Large mid C20 wing to right of this not of special interest.
To left of central block a tall 1-storey wing with brick pediment and brick
dentil cornice. Square gauged headed windows, architraved to central bay of
central block; sashes; glazing bars. Moulded brick band between storeys. Dentil
cornice to eaves. 3 dormers to roof, pedimented, central one segmental.
Casements. Grand rear elevation with scrolly split pedimented doorcase.
Listing NGR: TQ2336170719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings