This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2064 / 51°12'22"N
Longitude: -2.1888 / 2°11'19"W
OS Eastings: 386909
OS Northings: 145257
OS Grid: ST869452
Mapcode National: GBR 1V5.CFR
Mapcode Global: VH97H.0YR2
Entry Name: Byne House
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312870
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WARMINSTER CHURCH STREET
No 40 (Byne House)
ST 8645 SE 5/65 28.4.52.
Built 1755 for prominent local clothier John Wansey. 3 storeys and basement.
Coursed squared stone on projecting plinth. Plain strings at 1st and 2nd
floor levels, rusticated quoins. Moulded cornice with balustrade over, pierced
near corners and over spaces between windows. Moulded stone coping to balustrade.
Slate roof. Glazing bar sash windows. 3 square windows on 2nd floor. Two
3-light windows on 1st floor with centre light higher than side lights, flanking
central Palladian (Venetian) windows, with Doric pilasters and entablature
and architrave to central arch. "Gothic" interlacing glazing pattern to central
light. 2 similar windows to outer 1st floor type on ground floor, and tall
central 6-panel door in architrave surround with triple keystone broken through
architrave, under flat moulded wood hood with panelled soffit and shaped pelmet
edges. The door approached by double flight of 5 moulded stone steps with
stone balustrade of later date. 2 tripartite basement windows. All windows
except Palladian windows have stone architrave surrounds. House set back
from road. Datestone in north gable wall. Good contemporary staircase with
spiral end to handrail, and enriched brackets below string - possibly in altered
position. Later C18 stair window with traceried round arched head having
internal pendants (cf similar window to fanlight of centre part of St Boniface's
College opposite). Fireplace in ground floor front south room enriched with
sphinxes in centre panel. Another marble fireplace in room on 1st floor.
There is a later extension to the house to the south-east dated (by rain water
heads on west side) 1800. Built of Bath stone ashlar with principal aspect
to east, it has tripartite French casement window on ground floor with swags
in architrave, flanking piers, Doric cornice and blocking course. To south
is a later blank extension in ashlar with band over ground floor and in front
of it a wall to road with centre ramped down (about 9 ft high) and with segmental
headed recess for ledged door. Large walled garden with ha-ha to east.
Listing NGR: ST8690945257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings