This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4567 / 51°27'24"N
Longitude: -0.0148 / 0°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 538024
OS Northings: 174949
OS Grid: TQ380749
Mapcode National: GBR L2.T3L
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.PNK4
Entry Name: St Mary's Vicarage
Listing Date: 30 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286235
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203335
Location: Lewisham, London, SE13
Electoral Ward/Division: Lewisham Central
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Lewisham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/05/2018
LEWISHAM HIGH STREET SE13
(West Side) St Mary's Vicarage
TQ 3874 19/L53
Former vicarage, now offices. 1692-1693 for George Stanhope, vicar of Lewisham with additions of 1879-1881 by Edwin and Hilton Nash and 1894-1895, the latter using bricks from the demolished Lewisham House, which formerly stood opposite. For many years the property of the Legge family in whose gift was the living of Lewisham, usually filled from members of the family. Double-span house of 2 storeys, attic and basement, 5 windows, slightly irregular. Very high pitched roof, renewed in machine tile, with end chimneys partly renewed. Moulded and modillioned eaves cornice in front, plastered coved cornice behind. 3 square dormers with later casements. Brownish brick with red brick dressings, ie quoins, lst floor band, window jambs and gauged brick ground floor window arches.Original cross windows with casements mostly renewed although 3 original iron ones remain. Modern double door, with plain rectangular fanlight, in moulded architrave. Doorcase of flat pilasters, swell frieze, curved brackets supporting breakfront cornice and pediment, both with modillions.
Inside 2 staircases, the main one with spiral twist balusters and square newels. Panelled dado to stair well. Backstairs with slightly bullous turned balusters. Several rooms with original panelling, including entrance hall, L-shaped with segmental arch over. 6 early fireplaces, 3 of them corner ones, with shouldered surrounds and Dutch tiling. One has carved sprays at sides. Brick cellar with some original floor bricks. This cellar was used as parish lockup after burning of Watch House in early Cl9 and attachments for door bars remain.
Back extension late Cl9 and West side extension also late C19, in keeping with house. RCHM.
Listing NGR: TQ3802474949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings