This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3389 / 53°20'20"N
Longitude: -1.2842 / 1°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 447757
OS Northings: 382683
OS Grid: SK477826
Mapcode National: GBR MYGT.RT
Mapcode Global: WHDDZ.7BQN
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 29 May 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335853
Location: Wales, Rotherham, S26
Civil Parish: Wales
Built-Up Area: Kiveton Park
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wales St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WALES CHURCH STREET
4/102 Church of St. John
29.5.66 the Baptist
Church. Early C12 nave and chancel altered and tower added C15, C18 vestry;
new nave and south aisle added 1897 both extended to east c1930. Ashlar, rubble
and dressed sandstone, Welsh slate and tile roofs. West tower, C12 2-bay nave
and chancel now form north aisle and chapel, C19 4-bay nave overlaps tower and
has separately-roofed aisle with porch to south, C20 chancel extends beyond
C12 chancel by 2 bays, C20 1-bay extension to south aisle. Tower: Perpendicular
style; 3 stages. Chamfered plinth and moulded band. Diagonal buttresses flank
pointed-arched 3-light west window with hoodmould; string courses below and
above clock; pointed 2-light louvred belfry openings; north gargoyle beneath
altered parapet, pitched roof. C12 nave: large quoins to rubble heightened
in C15 ashlar; 2 hollow-chamfered, Tudor-arched 3-light windows; string course
from tower beneath embattled parapet. C12 chancel: lower and narrower and with
lean-to north vestry having 2-light chamfered, mullioned window; C15 ashlar
north wall above; gable copings with cross. C19 and C20 additions in Perpendicular
style with gable copings and crosses, the C20 work in snecked walling. West
door with moulded, pointed arch and pinnacles beneath 5-light west window with
hoodmould. Large buttress on right with 3-light west window to aisle gable.
South porch to bay 2 of aisle has early-C12 south door refixed within: shafted
jambs, beak-headed voussoirs, chequer and lozenge work in tympanum, damaged
carving over. 3-light and 4-light windows to other C19 bays; C20 bay 5 with
south door on right of 4-light mullioned window, single-light window over door;
east bellcote. Diagonal east buttresses flank C20 4-light chancel window.
Interior: C15 tower arch has chamfered quoins and corbelled inner order partly
chamfered. Nave: C15 roof with moulded, cambered tie beams and original rafters
and purlins, carved bosses. Chancel arch: early C12, inner order on 1/2-columned
imposts and 1/4 columns towards nave; volutes and heads to the capitals; zig-
zag ornament to outer order. C19 2-bay arcade into new nave and similar 4-
bay arcade into south aisle, all have octagonal piers, moulded capitals and
double-chamfered pointed arches. Fittings: circular font on double-chamfered
plinth. Hexagonal pulpit dated 1727 with fielded panels, contemporary splat-
balustered communion rail and panelling to old chancel. Stained glass: 3 late
medieval panels in north windows; 1st World War memorial window in old chancel.
Monuments: to left of old chancel east window, a marble wall wall monument to
Sir Thomas Hewett (d1726) and wife (d1756).
Listing NGR: SK4775782683
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings