This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3258 / 53°19'32"N
Longitude: -1.2187 / 1°13'7"W
OS Eastings: 452139
OS Northings: 381267
OS Grid: SK521812
Mapcode National: GBR MYXZ.YJ
Mapcode Global: WHDF0.7NYR
Entry Name: Ruins of Thorpe Salvin Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1966
Last Amended: 15 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335839
Location: Thorpe Salvin, Rotherham, S80
Civil Parish: Thorpe Salvin
Built-Up Area: Thorpe Salvin
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Salvin St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
THORPE SALVIN LADYFIELD ROAD
(north side, off)
5/77 Ruins of Thorpe Salvin
29.7.66 Hall (formerly listed
as part of Ruins of
Thorpe Salvin Hall and
Ruined mansion. Mid-late C16. For Hercy Sandford (d1582). Rubble limestone,
no roof. 3-storey, 9-bay symmetrical south wall of courtyard-plan mansion having
round corner turrets, projections for external stacks and central porch; bases
of rear corner turrets survive, that on right linked by section of plinth wall.
In Tudor domestic style with transomed, ovolo-moulded mullioned windows mostly
of 3 lights. Large quoins, chamfered plinth. Central porch projection has
doorway with double-chamfered surround and Tudor-arched lintel with hoodmould;
blocked 3-light mullioned window over has hoodmould. Transomed 1st-floor window
with hoodmould now has wooden pigeon holes; transomed 2nd-floor window beneath
dripcourse. 3 bays to each side have blind central stack projections surmounted
by sections of mulled friezes and with diagonally-set stack plinths; bay 2
collapsed above ground floor. Turret at left end ruined, that on right intact
and with windows set on the curve, 2nd-floor window without mullions, string
course beneath rebuilt parapet. Right return: plinth remains and has projection
for stop-chamfered doorway; base of turret on right. Left return: base of rear
turret with chamfered square-headed doorway attached. Interior: rear of facade
has large ground-floor fireplaces of which the relieving arches remain; triangular-
headed fireplaces to upper floors. Heraldic panels on the gatehouse (q.v.)
point to the date of construction being 1565-82. The building was sold to Sir
Edward Osborne in 1636. His successor Thomas Osborne, Earl of Danby lived there
until after his marriage; he became Charles II's chief minister and was created
Duke of Leeds in 1694 after which time the family moved to Kiveton Park. A
scheduled Ancient Monument.
M. Girouard, Robert Smythson and The Elizabethan Country House, 1983, p119-
J. Hunter, South Yorkshire: The History and Topography of the Deanery of Doncaster,
N. Pevsner, BOE, 1967, p515.
Listing NGR: SK5213481285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings