This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4904 / 53°29'25"N
Longitude: -1.5384 / 1°32'18"W
OS Eastings: 430722
OS Northings: 399393
OS Grid: SK307993
Mapcode National: GBR KXP2.QJ
Mapcode Global: WHCBY.BJNK
Plus Code: 9C5WFFR6+4J
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 25 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334018
Location: Wortley, Barnsley, S35
Civil Parish: Wortley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wortley St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WORTLEY WORTLEY VILLAGE
4/142 Church of St. Leonard
Church. Of medieval origin, tower rebuilt by John Platt in 1753-4 (Colvin,p641)
rest rebuilt c1815 and later in C19. Coursed, squared sandstone, stone slate
roof. 4-stage west tower; 6-bay, aisleless, nave and chancel in one with south
porch and north vestry. Gothic Revival style with some true Gothic fragments.
Tower: chamfered plinth, large quoins. String course and offset at each stage.
Slit windows to lower stages except for 3-light mullioned window to ground floor
on north; clock to 3rd stage on north and south; 2-light belfry openings with
trefoil-headed and louvred lights in deeply-chamfered surrounds; embattled parapet.
Nave and chancel: large quoins. Traces of C18 mullioned gallery window at south-west
end. Shallow-gabled south porch to left of three 3-light windows having Y-tracery
in cyma-moulded surrounds. Moulded priests' door to left of reset C14 3-light
window with reticulated tracery now lighting south chapel. East window of 3 lights
with smaller dividing lights in Perpendicular style with Tudor-arched heads. North
vestry window of 3 ogee-headed lights with relieving arch. 2 stone-roofed additions
on north side.
Interior: rounded chancel arch, flanking arches in same style as are 2-bay arcades
to north and south. Numerous wall monuments to the Stuart Wortley family of
Wortley Hall the finest being those: on south side of east window to Mary Wortley
d.1794 by Regnart; on north side to Edward Wortley (d.1761: erected 1778); above
central pier of south chapel arcade to John Stuart Wortley (d.1797); on east wall
of south chapel to Margaret Stuart Wortley Mackenzie (d.1808) by Flaxwan, set in
older trefoil-headed niche with colonettes; C19 wall monument to same family on
north wall of nave; also one to Benjamin Newton, schoolmaster (d.1816: erected 1818).
Details of monuments in Pevsner (p559). 3 hatchments over south door.
H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1800, 1978
N. Pevsner, B.O.E. 1976 Ed.
Listing NGR: SK3072299393
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings