This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4464 / 53°26'47"N
Longitude: -1.2036 / 1°12'12"W
OS Eastings: 452992
OS Northings: 394697
OS Grid: SK529946
Mapcode National: GBR NX1L.79
Mapcode Global: WHDDF.HM2S
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334784
Location: Braithwell, Doncaster, S66
Civil Parish: Braithwell
Built-Up Area: Braithwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Braithwel St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
BRAITHWELL MICKLEBRING LANE
SK59SW (south side)
8/9 Church of St. James
Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15; chancel rebuilt 1845, organ chamber added
1894. Magnesian limestone ashlar also mixed sandstone and limestone rubble;
Welsh slate and stone slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle
and porch, north organ chamber; 2-bay chancel. Tower: 3 stages.
Perpendicular, ashlar. Chamfered plinth, moulded band and diagonal west
buttresses; 3-light west window with head-stops to hoodmould; string courses
below and above plain 2nd stage; apron panels to louvred 3-light belfry
windows; string course beneath embattled parapet having B crocketed
pinnacles. Nave: bay-1 porch has raised keystone to square-headed doorway
beneath sundial inscribed 1828. Churchwardens, THOMAS KAY, THO. DYSON.
Tall chamfered C12 south door within has six crosses to lintel soffit and
cable mould around tympanum carved with geometrical ornament, corbelled hood
truncated by porch. C14 south aisle has later east buttress and south
windows of 2 ogee lights in quoined, square-headed openings; aisle east
window has mass dial on jamb and Decorated tracery. Aisle copings rise to
embattled parapet of nave. Blocked north door beneath 2-light window; to its
east a deeply-recessed window of 3 Tudor-arched lights beneath square
hoodmould, beyond is a blocked 2-light, square-faced, mullioned window and to
bay 3 the gabled organ chamber with 2-light window having quatrefoils.
Chancel: chamfered plinth; diagonal east buttresses; blocked segmental-headed
priests' door flanked by trefoil-headed lancets; 3-light east window with
Decorated tracery and head-stops to the hoodmould. String course beneath
ashlar parapet with roll-moulded copings and east cross.
Interior: double-chamfered, pointed tower arch with moulded capitals. South
arcade: octagonal piers and matching responds, moulded capitals and double-
chamfered arches; bay 3 has arches of a former or proposed crossing, those to
west and south double-chamfered, C19 north arch into organ chamber. Aisle
south wall has trefoil-headed piscina to east of chamfered floor-tomb recess
Chancel arch: C13; treble-chamfered, the inner order on keeled responds.
Easter sepulchre with cusped tracery beneath moulded arch with crockets and
finials. C19 roofs. Fittings: 3 C16 carved panels in later pulpit, one has
kneeler, another with initials 'B.S' (Brian Sharpe, vicar 1565-1576).
Monuments: stone benefactions tablets on south aisle wall, one is a corniced
and architraved plaque recalling the gift of £60 p.a. by John Gleadhall
(dl688). Wall monument over aisle pier to Betta Sheppard (d.1766) et al. has
an open segmental pediment with ball finials. Painted arms of Geo. I and
date 1724. Brass behind pulpit to Ralph Purslove (d.1726). In chancel a
cross slab to left of altar and on right a grave slab to Nathaniel Eyre
Listing NGR: SK5299294697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings